Two Wrongs

Shakur

"Daddy!" Jahzya screeched as she watched me come through the door before running over to hug me. I laughed. "What's good, J?" I asked while squeezing her so tight I ended up picking her up off her feet. "Ahhh!" She laughed loud and Mama poked her head out the living room doorway.

"Lord hammercy, y'all a loud bunch," she said while rolling her eyes and holding her head. "Hey Mamaaaa," I said while letting go of Jahzya and scooping my mom up into a hug. "Hey boy. Where you been? You was posed to be here this mornin'." I wanted to roll my eyes like she had just done so bad. But I wasn't in the mood for Mama's backhand today. I had enough bullshit on my mind. "I know Ma, my fault. I had to take care of a few things. And dad wanted me to give you... this." I pulled a Chanel box out of my book bag before handing it over.

"Why you pulling this Chanel box out that dingy ass backpack boy?" She popped the back of my head and my daughter and niece bussed out laughing as I watched my mom open the box to find a new pair of leather gloves, glasses, and a hat. She crossed her arms. "Where he at?" Mama asked flatly while staring down at her gift.

"He'a be home, Ma. This new too?" I flicked her earring.

"Mhm. Cortez called me." I actually rolled my eyes.

"Whatchu tellin' me fuh?"

"Wasn't it somethin' you wanted to tell him?"

"Hell yeah. And I wanna see Pops laugh in his ugly ass face."

Mama threw that right hook and I ducked it. "Don't run from me boy!" She tried to punch on me again and I skipped back. "Nana! Not my uncle!" Zaya ran into Mama's arms and hugged her neck. "I'ma tell Pops bout the preacher man hittin' yo line. Where he even get your number? He pushin' it." Mama shook her head. "Oh hush boy. What you doin' tonight? Take my grandchild home and take yo ass inna house."

"I'm goin' home Ma," I said while kissing her cheek and grabbing Jahzya's bag. "Let's go J."  Me and the kid hopped on the road and I started blasting her favorite Beyoncé song while putting the roof down. Jahzya looked over laughing before belting the lyrics as the wind blew her big hair all over the place. I got us a donut and iced coffee before swinging by her bald head ass mama's. I turned down the music as I turned to my child.

"How much money you got?"

"I got twenty dollas." She smiled and I nodded before starting to count out forty more and handing it over. "You need anything J? You ight? You don't need nothin' for school or dance do you?" She took my money with stars in her eyes. "I'm good. Thank you Daddy. I love you!" She kissed my cheek three times before we got out the car.

I opened the door to her mom's crib to see niggas sitting all around watching that old ass tv and smoking cigarettes and joints and hitting the bottle and shit. Immediately my mood begged to turn irrational... or belligerent... hell even contentious. I couldn't stand the type of environment Arnell created for our child. She was the type of bitch to let any and everybody stomp all up and through her house. While I understand that everybody ain't got it like me and everybody gone be dealt a shitty hand every once and a while, I also understand that that shit ain't always gone be my fucking problem. I was typically generous. And if I felt like money or a job couldn't help somebody's situation then I'd make some of my connections their connections in hopes that they could take advantage of them. But Arnell made a habit of fucking with folks with no initiative whatsoever. I'd seen too many of these niggas too many times before. And I was growing tired of dropping my child off back here.

I looked down at Jahzya who looked like she ain't even wanna go inside. "You wanna spend this week with Daddy?" She nodded as she grabbed my hand to hold. I kissed the back of her hand. "Ight. Go pack you a bag. Get everything you need for school. And your laptop. And leave them dirty clothes here."

"Nana washed them but okay," she said while running up to her room.

"Arnell!" I called out and she came poking her head out of the kitchen. "Where's Jahzya? You don't need to be comin' up in here if you ain't bringin' my child home or payin' that child support."

"Shut the fuck up, I keep the lights on in this raggedy ass bitch! I told you last week you ain't just gone keep invitin' any and everybody to be around my child! Got these muthafuckas in here smokin' and drinkin'! She don't need to see that shit!"

"You don't get to come around here tellin' me how to run my muthafuckin' house when you ain't ever here! And you wanna talk about my friends bein' around, what about them bitches you bring around Jahzya?! I don't like that but do you hear me complaining?!"

"Yes, actually, I do. Every fucking time I pick Jahzya up. And ain't nobody ever been around her who ain't need to be around her! And tell me why you think I would ever wanna be here? Every other day you bringin' another funky ass broke ass don't got no job don't want no job ass muthafucka in here and y'all don't do shit but sit around and get hammered! You supposed to be that little girl's mother and you wanna set this shitty ass example for her?! You don't do shit but drink away the money that you're supposed to spend on J and you expect me not to say shit?"

"I'm a great mother," Arnell said with a roll of the neck as she began to tap her foot. "Bitch my daughter hate you,"  I said nonchalantly as I went to turn and walk out of the kitchen but I began to feel punches connect to my back. I turned around and pushed Arnell so hard she fell on her ass. "Today is not the day Arnell. Aye J!" I called out and my daughter came dragging a big ass bag down the stairs.

"Let's go," I took the bag and pulled her out to the car and I threw them both inside as Arnell stood there cussing me out the whole while. After I pulled off I took a few minutes to gather my thoughts before I looked away from the road to see Jahzya wiping tears away and I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry you had to hear me and your Mama argue like that." She just looked over wearing a blank expression. "Am I goin' back?"

I shrugged slowly. "I don't know. Do you want to go back?" I watched her shake her head no slowly.

"Then you don't have to."

"But will I get to see her again?"

I reached over to rub my child's shoulder. "Whenever you wanna see your Mama let me know and I'll set it up. Ight?" Jahzya just nodded and smiled through the tears she was wiping away.

"I gotta work tonight so I have to drop you back off with Nana. But I'll be there bright and early to take you to school then take you home with me. Okay?"

"Okay."

When I pulled back up at my folks house to drop Jahzya back off I just knew I was in for an earful from my Mama. And I was right. "Fuck you think this is some kinda daycare boy?" I wanted to laugh but in reality we both knew this shit wasn't funny. Mama's mouth had gotten so out of control lately though and that was truly comical. "First of all... you spendin' way too much time with my dad. Second of all, no. I know this ain't that, Ma. I just really need your support right now. You know I wouldn't ask if I didn't."

"Well what is it that you got to run out and do so bad that you can't keep your daughter? And I thought you was takin' her home."

I huffed. "Home is with me now," I said while shrugging my shoulders and Mama's eyes softened. "What's goin' on with Arnell?" I shook my head. "I don't feel like talkin' bout that right now Ma. Just know she ain't fit. Now, can you please keep Jahzya for me just one more night? I'll be back early enough to take her to school then I got it for the rest of the week."

"Ight. And Shakur I don't mind helpin', you know that. You just gotta let me know in advance moving forward. You and yo sister, boy I tell you," she said while shaking her head and walking me back to the door.

"Thank you Mama. I got it. I love you," I hugged her again because real shit I needed it.

Three A.M.

I slid my gloves on my hands before holding my index finger to my lips. I signaled my cousin Duece to keep his ass quiet as I slid the kitchen window open and I climbed in before telling him to come on. "Don't touch shit witcho bare hands. Don't roll up ya sleeves or ya pants. Don't scratch yo head, yo back, yo ass. Don't even wipe yo mothafuckin' sweat till we roll out. Ight? Everything we need is in here. He don't want her dead yet. And he wanna use him as incentive to get her to talk. But if you gotta take his ass out, do it. He prolly don't know shit anyway. Do not let them scream. Understood?"

"I got it dawg."

"Ight then. Let's do this shit."