Chapter Twenty-Four

Bad Dreams

Abbe's POV:

-Flashback-
3 ½ months before the Mikaelson's were turned

Darkness surrounded me, I could see the moon through the trees. The bright blue crescent in all its beautiful glory looked down on me as I ran. My heart was pounding, racing, no doubt bruising my chest with its speed. We'd been caught, and now he was dead.

I'd fallen asleep in Ian's arms and he'd dozed off not long after. I'd woken to Ian and his elder brother, Eric, arguing. I'd been flustered at first, quickly pulling on my dress to cover my naked form on the barn floor. But I soon realized what they were speaking of.

I was a witch and a strong one at that. Ian's parents were well-known in our town and well-liked as well, while the in favour of my family was split. Many were awed by my mother, elder brother, and my magic seeing no harm in it as we healed and aided the poor. While others feared our power and believed us evil beings. Eric was the latter, though it was not publicly known due to the fact that our parents were close.

"She will bring shame to our family!" Eric hissed at his brother, "Get rid of her now! Better yet, kill her! Do the world a favour."

"No, Brother! Please! We love each other!" Ian pleaded, my eyes widened. Though Ian had expressed his deep feelings for me I had never expressed mine to him. Though that did not mean they were not there.

"You have been spelled, my Brother. By this witch!" Eric raised his voice, now yelling at Ian. He pulled his sword from his belt and pointed it at me, still near the door to the barn.

"No, Eric you must see reason! Abbe and I are in love!" Ian continued as he stood coming to stand in front of me to shield me from his murderous brother.

Tears welled in my eyes at what I saw next. Ian pulled his own sword from his discarded clothes and began advancing towards his brother. Their swords clashed and I ran towards them to try and stop the brothers.

"No! Stop it both of you!" I screeched, pulling on Ian's arm.

"Step back Abbe, I wish you not to be hurt." Ian said, turning a little to meet my eyes. It was that short second that Eric needed to plunge his sword deep into my lover's gut. I let out a horrible wail as Ian fell to the ground, his brother ripped the weapon from his torso and stood proudly.

I cried Ian's name as the light in his eyes left and I let out a guttural scream. Eric bent down on the other side of his brother and let his hand brush his eyes closed.

"I apologize Brother. This was the only way to rid you of the Witch's spell." He spoke with a small smile and he looked relieved. As if I'd really spelled his brother to love me. "Now, to deal with you." He stood and pointed his bloodied sword at me glaring at my blood-covered dress, the blood of my, now, deceased lover.

Then the fight began, he came at me and I threw him back with my magic. Painful hate spurred in my chest. I threw him around the barn before finally strangling him with my magic.
It was at that moment when Kol ran in, he and I had an agreement of sorts. If one of us was with our significant other or others, in Kol's case, and we had lost sight of the time or had fallen asleep and were late home we would go get the other. It made keeping our lovers secret much easier when we could rely on each other. Kol, having heard the racket on his way to get me ran inside in worry.

"Abbe!" He called, breaking my concentration and allowing Eric to slip from my magical grip. He grabbed his sword from the ground beside him and ran at me. Kol came to my rescue using his own magic to snap the man's neck.

We stood in silence for a few minutes, only my quiet sobs echoing in the barn. Finally, my brother spoke. "Abbe, go fetch Elijah. Quickly Little Sister." I did as told.

I glanced at the moon before making my way inside our house, waking Elijah and signalling for him to stay silent despite his want for answers at my strange dishevelled appearance. I led him through the silent and deserted town as the moon passed its peak. When we came across the barn he gasped. Kol sat me down against the barn wall and stayed with me as Elijah delt with the brothers.

-End of Flashback-

I woke in a cold sweat, tears sprung to my eyes and I let out a silent wail. Night terrors and nightmares had been a large part of my immortal life. Though over time I'd realized excessive drinking and, or physical contact while sleeping made them lessen.

This dream wasn't so much a dream as it was a memory, most likely brought to the surface by Damon's near-death experience earlier in the day. It was a horrible time and I remembered it vividly. Elijah had ended up waking up Ian and Eric's parents and telling them a well-crafted lie.

Ian had attempted to take advantage of me and Eric and found us. Eric had then killed his brother before committing suicide in front of me. I'd then run to get my brothers in horror.

Elijah had even moved Eric's body and stabbed him with his own sword so that it looked as if after stabbing himself he'd fallen, hitting his neck and breaking it.

I silently sobbed remembering what had transpired not long after. The loss of my baby while 3 months along. It had happened when Mikael had killed me.

Twenty minutes later I was walking down the hallway at The Boarding House. I opened Damon's bedroom door and slipped inside. "Abbe?" Damon mumbled sitting up on his elbow.

"Do you mind?" I questioned, hugging myself as Ian and Eric's faces haunted me. Damon shook his head, motioning for me to come over I slid into his bed and he pulled me closer so that my back was against his chest.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Damon whispers, stroking his thumb across my shoulder. I shook my head swallowing a sob. I knew Damon knew but he didn't push me, staying awake to soothe me until my heart slowed down enough to relax and find comfort to fall asleep.

My eyelids seemed to light up and I groaned burring my face into what I realized was Damon. I opened my eyes to see him watching me with a small smile on his face. The sun was streaming through the large window landing in my sensitive eyes. I squinted and sat up, realizing I'd vamp-sped here in my short silk nightdress I headed over to Damon's drawer to put on one of his shirts. Slipping off my nightdress with my back facing Damon.

I felt his fingers caressing my sides not moments later and I turned around. He caught my lips and we ended up in bed again, this time with a lot more movement.

"Damon..." I trailed off not knowing how I should say what I was about to. He began kissing my neck and I grinned before pushing him back down to the bed. "Listen, this is important." I sighed. "I think we should take a break." I could see the panic rise in Damon's eyes and shook my head. "Hey, hey, hey. It's not permanent, Dames. Just a precaution so we don't break each other's hearts." He still looked unsure.

"Look, it's just over the summer. I'm going away anyway and I think it'll be good for us. We'll explore what we want, play around, do whatever. And then in September, I'll be back and we can see if we think it's a good idea to continue." I explained, Damon looked down guiltily.

"This is because of Elena, isn't it." It wasn't a question, it was a statement but I nodded anyway. He sighed, "Fine." I looked up surprised.

That night I left Mystic Falls, it was time for my awaited revenge on Max's killers. So, to Spain, I went.