Chapter Forty-Four

S. 3 - Ep. 19 - Heart of Darkness

Abbe's POV:

    "She won't wake up any sooner no matter how long you stare at the stairs, Abbe." Genie laughs as she walks through the living room and spots me still waiting on the couch. I didn't want to scare Natasha when she woke up, so I'd situated myself at the bottom of the staircase that led to the hallway that her room was off of. I was anxious to see her. "You know, she might not wake up for a few days, right?" Genie noted and I nodded, still worried and watching the stairs. Natasha had lost a lot of magic and her body needed time to replenish and heal itself.

Genie sighed, walking over to me and sitting down next to me. "I thought you were going out?" I question and she shakes her head.

    "No way I'm leaving you to worry all alone." She said, kissing the side of my head. I smiled at her and rested my head on her shoulder.

    A few minutes later my phone broke our comfortable silence. I picked it up, seeing my best friend's name flashing on the screen. "Hey, Care." I answered, switching to English. The language felt odd after speaking in Spanish for the last week. I cleared my throat and Genie laughed at me.

    "You're sister is such a bitch!" My eyes widened and I scoffed.

    "Well, hello to you too, are you doing well, oh yeah I'm fine, how is school-" My annoyed rant was cut off.

    "Sorry, hi Abbe. It's just, your sister is getting on my last nerve!" Caroline growled and I rolled my eyes.

    "Hmmm, and what did she do now?" At least this was distracting me from waiting for Natasha to wake up.

    "She changed the dance theme!" She hissed and I sighed. Caroline was the chair of the dance committee and took planning extremely seriously. No doubt it was something Rebekah would like as well.

    I suddenly heard a muffled 'hey!' and my sister began speaking. "Abbe, would you rather the sixties or the twenties?"

    "The twenties definitely, the sixties were horrendous." I responded truthfully.

    "Hey! I liked the sixties!" Genie wined and I laughed.

    "Sorry, but the twenties were better." She lightly glared and I laughed. "Forgive me?" I kissed her cheek and gave her a sweet smile.

    "Always." She responded. I heard Rebekah in the background gloating to Caroline and I guessed that my sister had changed Caroline's sixties theme to the twenties.

    "Anyways, how are you?"

    "I'm fine Bekah, I've moved on from Damon." I said, trying to suppress my giggles as Genie began kissing up my thigh, towards my shorts.

    "Damon?" I heard Caroline ask, "What about-" Rebekah cut her off.

    "Is Kol there yet?" She questioned and I grew confused.

    "No, why would he be here?"

    "Just..." My big sister sighed, "I'm here if you need to talk."

    "Yeah, I know. But, what happened, Bekah? What's Kol got to tell me?" I was growing worried.

    "Nothing, you'll find out soon. I need to give Caroline her phone back, so I'll talk to you later, okay?" Rebekah quickly hung up and I scoffed.

    "They're hiding something." Genie muttered and I nodded. Apparently, Kol would let me know what it was soon enough, but it still worried me.

    Genie and I cuddled the rest of the day, hanging out on the couch. It had now been 48 hours since Maria and I had rescued Natasha. She should be waking up soon. Maria and I had been updating each other from each end. She was with Josh at the hospital while I stayed home, monitoring Natasha. Joshua was doing well, the blood I'd given him had helped but he was now refusing anymore of it. I understood that he would never wish to be a vampire, but it worried me since he still couldn't move one of his legs.

    Genie was rambling on about everything I'd missed in town in the last fourteen years when I heard some shuffling from upstairs. I sat up suddenly, shocking Genie, and looked straight at the stairs as I heard footsteps walking around Natasha's bedroom.

Natasha's POV:

I woke up feeling as if I had been knocked out, as if the sleep I'd gotten had only made me more tired. My body was tingling and I felt a little faint as I sat up in bed. I spent a few minutes getting my bearings, and remembering what had gotten me here. The house, the hospital, the basement, the horrible sacrificing spell, and then... nothing.

I wondered where I was, looking around. I was in a large bedroom, with silk sheets and pillows. Definitely the most comfortable bed I'd ever been in. The wallpaper, which showed intricate flower patterns, was, on closer inspection, not wallpaper at all. It was hand-painted. The room had three mystery doors along with glass French doors to the balcony, which gave me an easy idea of where I was in town. I could see the whole town from the balcony and I knew immediately I was in Abbe Mikaelson's mansion. Did that mean I had been saved?

My thoughts spiralled. The coven would never have agreed to this, leading me to believe they had either fled or were dead. But was I safe then? Would they come for me again if they had only fled? And, where was my dad? Had Abbe saved me? I was in her house, it would only make sense. My whirlwind of thoughts paused when I spotted a note.

'Come down whenever you are ready.' -Abbe

I picked up the glass of water which was situated beside the note and my single sip turned into gulps until it was empty. I was suddenly very hungry and thirsty. How long had I been asleep?

I stayed in the room for a few more minutes before I decided that now was as good a time as any to meet my mother formerly, and I opened the door opposite the balcony to step into the hallway.

As I walked down the hall, I spotted the stairs and took them down. After a few steps, the room below became visible and I met the eyes of Abbe. I froze. My mother was standing in front of a couch, looking up at me. Genie Santos sat on the armrest behind her, holding her hand, her fingers rubbing circles into my Mother's palm.

I took a deep breath and started walking again, only this time slower, not sure what to do.

Could I really do this?

🫢