Chapter Forty-Three

S. 3 - Ep. 18 - The Murder Of One

Rebekah's POV:

Damon screamed again as I stabbed in the side with a stake. "What is wrong with you?" I questioned taking a few steps back.

"What are you talking about? I'm perfect." He replies sarcastically. I glare at him before yanking out the stake, causing him to yell it again.

"You had an amazing girl. She defended you. Accepted you. Put up with all your shit. She loved you. And you threw it all away for some brat who's dating your brother." I glare at him heatedly, mad for the sake of my little sister.

"Nik, he's my plaything not yours." I pout as my brother walks up to Damon. Klaus compels him to leave, to go home. And he tries to... his skin rips apart and blood pools on the floor as the bear traps hanging him from the ceiling by his hands hold strong.

"Well, now that we know he can be compelled." Klaus smirks at the Salvatore brothers, eager to find out how many stakes there are.

"Nik, wait. I want to find out something first." I say. Klaus huffs but compiles, stepping aside.

I walk up to the man who broke my little sister's heart and stare into his eyes, compelling him. "Why did you kiss Elena?" I hear Klaus scoff while Stefan sucks in a strained breath.

"Because I love her."

"What about Abbe?"

"I never loved her."

"But you chose her. Last week, you told her you chose her over Elena. Why say that if it wasn't true?"

"I never loved her, that was a mistake."

I studied the man in front of me, his short and odd answers were irritating. "But why? Elena is a bitch, why would you love her?"

"I don't know."

"Why don't you know?"

"I don't know, I-" Klaus cut Damon off and I stood there confused. He doesn't know? What's that supposed to mean?

"Sister, that's enough. He and Abbe are over. I don't see why it matters." Klaus grumbles. I shake my head in confusion. Who doesn't know why they love someone? I compelled him, he should have told me. 'I don't know' isn't an answer.

"Something's wrong." I mutter.

"Rebekah, Love, you're not a detective. He simply chose the doppelganger." Klaus growls. He was mad as well but not as much as I. Abbe had been ready to dedicate her life to Damon, and from what I saw, he had been too. So, what changed?

"Damon, how many stakes-" I cut off my brother.

"When did you decide you didn't love Abbe?" I questioned, grabbing Damon's chin and meeting his eyes.

"Bekah." My brother growled, irritated.

"At the ball." Came Damon's robotic answer.

"But, exactly when?" I'd seen him at the ball. The way he'd looked at my sister was incredible, I'd been jealous of his love for her.

"After my conversation with Elijah." Damon answered, causing me to frown. Elijah? I made eye contact with Klaus and he looked concerned.

"What did Elijah say to you during this conversation?" Klaus compelled, Stefan was now intrigued as well, standing just behind Klaus and I.

"He told me to stay away from Abbe. He helped me realize that I'd never loved her. He told me that I loved Elena." Damon answered, monotone.

"He compelled Damon." Stefan mumbled in realization, the three of us stared shocked at the dazed vampire strung up in front of us.

"I can't believe Finn is dead." I sighed.

"Good riddance. He was an embarrassment, Rebekah." Klaus hisses.

"He was still your brother, mind your tongue." Klaus doesn't respond so I sigh and state the obvious. "I need to tell Abbe about Finn and Damon." I told Klaus. He nodded to me, he looked concerned and angry. I was too, Elijah had betrayed our baby sister. I always knew he didn't approve of Abbe's courtships, but this was on another level. He forced Damon to break her heart.

"Get Kol to do it. He'll be able to help her." Klaus says. He was right of course, but the fact that I wouldn't be able to console my own sister still hurt. Kol had left right after Abbe, embarking on his own new-century discovery trip. He would know where she went, he would also be able to calm her and help with Finn's death. Although Abbe and Finn weren't close as vampires they had a bond as humans. Finn had taught her how to read and they would read together many nights. His death would hurt her more than the rest of us.

"Maybe..." I began, catching Klaus' attention again. "Maybe we shouldn't tell her about Damon." Klaus slowly nodded, a regrettable expression on his face.

"I will compel Stefan to keep his mouth shut." He agreed, standing and speeding from the living room.

I sighed tiredly and mumbled an apology. "I'm sorry little sister, but it's better you don't get hurt anymore." It would hurt her even more to know that Elijah had done this, I couldn't do that to her.

Abbe's POV:

"Do you think she knows?" I asked Genie as we sat on the sofa in the living room. I was lying across her lap, looking up at her and she was playing with my hair.

"That you carried her inside you for nine months?" Genie asked, and I nodded. She shrugged as she continued to rub circles across my scalp. "I don't doubt that she suspects, she got her smarts from her mother, but I don't think she would know for sure." She said, smiling sadly down at me.

"You think I'm smart, hmm?" I grinned at her but then a thought occurred to me and I frowned. Genie didn't see my change as she continued.

"Oh, doll, your brain is magnificent!" She laughed, taking my hands in hers. When I didn't laugh with her she seemed to realize my sudden frown and brought my hand up to her lips, kissing them. "What's wrong, Abbe?"

"I didn't realize." I mumbled. "If I'm so smart, if I can write intricate unthinkable spells, if I can manipulate and plan murders spanning decades, then why couldn't I see it? Huh? Why was it so hard for me to realize that she was alive? Why did it take you risking your life-no not even risking! It took you signing your death certificate for me to see that I had been tricked!" I cried, "Why, if I'm so smart, did I miss the first fourteen years of my daughter's life?"

I was crying now, angry disappointed tears at myself, and Genie helped me sit up. She leaned my head against her shoulder and rubbed my back as I cried. "You will make it up to her, Doll. You'll be the best teen mom in history!" She said and I laughed through my tears.

"Thank you so much for almost dying to help me save her life, Genie. I'll never be able to repay you for that." I whispered after I'd calmed down.

"Well, thank you for rescuing Maria. If it wasn't for her siphoning then I'd probably be running around town delirious and near death." She said and we smiled at each other.

I hadn't realized how much I'd missed Genie.

🧛‍♀️