Chapter Forty-One

Full Moon

Part One

Abbe's POV:

"Kylie's medical expenses are getting high as hell, Jace." I told my friend over facetime as I fixed myself a martini. "Let me pay for it." I insisted.

"No way, you're already paying our mortgage, Abbe." Jace says angrily. He was too prideful to let me pay for anything else. He'd only let me pay the mortgage after Alice begged him so he could stay in town with his sisters, instead of working away from home.

Kylie had always been a sweet kid, but anyone could tell something was up. The 11-year-old was too sweet, too trusting, and too childlike for her age. Kylie suffered from a seizure disorder and it had affected her mental development after a few too many red flags were ignored by their mom. In the last few years, Kylie had started needing special help at school and the medical bills and doctor visits had become too much. For the sake of Kylie's wellbeing, I'd done a summer medical course specializing in her disorder 2 years ago. I was able to help keep the costs down enough, Jace would bring her to me when things came up that weren't too serious. But, in the last year, I hadn't been around. I'd been busy and the medical bills had once again piled up.

"Jace, it's my fault for all the extra costs! I'm not there to help, let me pay!" I pressed my friend. He growled, his eyes glowing for a moment as he shook his head.

"No! It's not your responsibility!" He snapped and I growled back before Jace hung up. I let out an irritated scream before calming down and deciding to try and convince him again when it wasn't the morning of a full moon. We were both too irritable at the moment.

The doorbell rang and I sighed, waltzing over to the door and welcoming Genie inside. But she didn't seem like herself. She wore a hesitant expression and clutched a black messenger bag in her arms. "What's wrong?"

"Joshua is in the hospital." She told me, she looked worried and it scared me.

"What happened?" I asked hurriedly as I grabbed my shoes and car keys. We might not be in the best place right now but he was still my friend. She shook her head sadly and grabbed hold of my arm to grab my attention.

"That isn't why I'm here." I looked at her quizzically, she was holding back something. "Well... I mean it is- it's complicated."

"Genie," I growled when she just stood there looking cautious, not elaborating.

"Joshua told me to burn this if anything happened to him." She sighs, biting her lip as she pulls a manilla envelope from her messenger bag. I raised an eyebrow at the witch in front of me, prompting her to continue, as she held the envelope out for me to take. "I think you should look at it." To say I was confused would be an understatement. But, worry also clouded my mind.

"Is Josh going to be OK?" I breathed out. She didn't answer my question but she had tears in her eyes. Genie had always been close to Josh and his family, she and Maria had been best of friends before everything went down.

"Just-" She took a big breath to steady her voice. "Just read it." I nodded, complying to her request and gently ripping the top of the envelope open. As I reached in, Genie spoke up. "Maybe, sit down." She squeaked out, she looked scared.

"Ok. But, you sit down too, Love." I said, nodding towards the living room, Genie nodded stiffly and followed me towards the couch in the next room.
Once we were both seated I slid my hand into the envelope for a second time and with no further instructions from Genie and pulled out the papers. I emptied the entire pile of papers onto the coffee table before looking at them properly.

A birth certificate greeted me on the top. The date caught my attention. My still-born daughter's birthday.

Natasha Maria Lopez - Born September 14th, 1996.