Chapter Twenty-Eight

This is gonna be a short chapter just to enlighten you guys on some background. What happened before Abbe moved to back to Mystic Falls and why she did.

Enjoy!

-blob243

S. 3 - Ep. 7 - Ghost World

Abbe's POV:

I'd practically barricaded myself in my room, a large luggage chest open and beside me on the floor. My hands shakily rummaged through the keepsakes, some dating back to when I was human.

My fingers brushed against the promise ring Ian had given me when we were young. Next a picture of Damon and I the night I agreed to commit to a relationship with him. There were pictures from throughout the years and drawings from before the photograph was invented.

When my fingers ran over the soft knitted cotton baby blanket tears came to my eyes. It was yellow, a neutral color, since we hadn't known what sex the baby would be when we'd gotten it. I brought the soft fabric from the chest and held it to my lips. Tears ran down my face and the blanket soaked them in.

"I'm sorry, baby." I whispered, pulling a few pictures from the chest. They were all old with wear and stained with tears and tares, tattered with their years. In the top photo I stood with my hands resting on top of my pregnant belly. My hands were held affectionately by the man standing behind me, with his arms wrapped around me. He was barely eighteen but had sacrificed his dreams of a big league college in the States for me and our child. His name was Joshua Lopez.

I flipped through the photos from my time with Josh, before and during my pregnancy. We'd started dating a few months after I'd moved to the small town in Spain to evade my brother. It was only a year after I'd broken my curse when I'd stumbled into his family's restaurant and we'd met. It didn't take long for me to get in with the local vamps, knowing humans and the few witches wanting to rebel from their coven. Josh was the last, he refused to conform to his coven's rules after what happened to his sister, Maria.

Maria was a siphoner and was kicked out due to it, later after an unfortunate accident I'd turned her into a vampire-witch hybrid, also known as a heretic. In fact she still visited me from time to time.

I flipped to the next photo and new tears came to my eyes. Maximus Delowere. He was Josh's best friend and had become the same to me before I left. There were seven individuals in the picture, myself, Josh, Max, Maria, Sofia, Paula and Jannie. I sighed as I thought of how we'd changed in the last 15 years. Three of us were living dead, two were human witches, one was a triggered werewolf and only one was human.

My fingers stroked the blanket as silent tears streamed down my face. It was dark out by now and I'd sat on my bedroom floor with three bottles of bourbon for the entire day, three bottles that were now all empty.

"I'm so sorry I failed you." I whispered, my sobs ripping through the silent house.