Chapter Thirty-Eight

S.3 - Ep. 16 - 1912

Abbe's POV:

"Do I really need to say this again, Abbe?" Kol groaned, when I didn't answer he sighed loudly. "This is the stupidest thing you could even think of doing right now."

I sighed and turned to him, pausing my packing. "I need to help her, Kol." I told my concerned brother.

"Oh, right... I apologize for thinking of my Baby Sister before her hybrid-witch friend!" Kol snarked, rolling his eyes.

"She's a heretic, Kol. And it'll be good for me, I just need some time to... to cool off and figure out what I'm gonna do next." I sighed, going back to picking clothes that would look appropriate in Spain's hot climate.

Last night had been an intense ride of emotions. Damon's betrayal - his cheating, Finn's betrayal, Mother's efforts to kill us, her admittance of having a part in the death of my daughter, the anniversary of Ian's gruesome death and then this morning I'd received the short text.

'Help' - Maria
'Home' - Maria

Those two words had shocked me more than anything. The first word was self-explanatory, Maria needed help. The second word was only one syllable, but it held a weight so deep it hurt. She was back home.

Tandia was a few hours from Madrid, Spain. It was home to a host of supernatural inhabitants including the Lamia Coven of witches. The town was divided, werewolves and witches were welcomed in the daytime, while the vamps ruled the nightlife - unless it was a full moon. Maria had grown up there until she left with me almost 15 years ago, after I gave birth to a stillborn baby girl. If she was back it could only mean her search for the witches who teamed up with Mikael and who killed Max were there. I had to join her, even after telling myself I would never set foot in that town again.

"At least let me come with you." Kol pleaded.

I shook my head and zipped my suitcase up. I checked my phone, still no more texts from Maria, I was growing worried. "You'll only complicate things, Kol. I know what I'm dealing with and I have recent history in the town anyway."

"If anything happens, Abbe. I swear you better text me!" Kol ordered, I sighed and nodded, agreeing.

As I drove past the 'Leaving Mystic Falls' sign I sighed. The town held so much for me, my family, the vampire I loved, some of my best friends and some of my best and worst memories. The town I was heading to held the same, memories and friends as well as enemies and old lovers.

I'd said goodbye to everyone before leaving. My family was distraught but understood, Elijah and Kol parting from Mystic Falls as well. I'd given Klaus a small vial of my blood, explaining to him how to undo the linking spell between us with a witch. Caroline was sad - making me promise to contact her and meet up once everything "blows over" - as if that'll ever happen. The poor blonde vampire was completely distraught over which side to support after Elena's gang used her - without her knowledge - to distract Klaus and tried to kill my family and me, and this wasn't the first time something like this had happened.

I'd stopped by Jace's mom's house and he'd apologized about what had happened before. He admitted that after speaking to his sister's he could see the lack of support and effort he was giving his sisters and he'd - finally - swallowed his pride and asked if he could borrow some money from me and support his family while working in town, promising to pay it all back. The girls weren't so quick to support my leaving, Kylie had bawled her eyes out when I told her and Alice looked angry and sad. I'd promised to facetime them every few days and Kylie promised to text me - using Jace's phone - good night and good morning every day.

Laura and Troy understood, but still, they were disappointed that I didn't know when I'd be back. I didn't tell Damon, or anyone but my teachers, that I'd be MIA for the next while and I didn't regret it. He'd cheated on me with Elena. Damon had broken my heart and staked it for extra measure. On top of that, he didn't seem to care that he'd tried to kill me and my family. There had been no text messages, no phone calls, nothing to apologize or even explain, he just didn't care.

I watched the USA become a small speck in the distance as I flew to Spain. My heart hurt and my pride was wounded by the recent events. Not to mention I was terrified of the events that were bound to come.

I peered at my phone as it lit up.

'Good night, Abbe! LOVE U!!!!!!!!!'
- Jace

I smiled sadly. If my daughter had survived, would she be like Kylie? I wondered.