The Ex

"Osa I met someone. He's so handsome and he's so smart."
The brunette rolls his eyes but smiles.
Her love struck expression warms his heart.
"Oh yeah? He better have good intentions or he'll have to deal with me."
(Y/n) giggles and hugs her friend. "And maybe if you found someone I could finally have a chance to act like an overprotective sister. You're always the one having fun bullying my crushes. I never get to do the same."
Dazai sighs and looks away. "You're the only one I need. They say as long as you have one true friend you'll be ok."
(Y/n) holds Dazai's hands and looks into his eyes. "And you will never lose me." She kisses his forehead and smiles cutely.

"My little mystery~" Dazai sing-songs as he walks into his best friend's apartment. "You've been ignoring me for a few days now. What's going on?"
As he looks around his confusion grows.
Upon entering the bedroom he finds a lump on the bed.
"My little mystery~ why are you a lump?"
Sniffling echoes in his ear loudly and his anger boils.
All humor leaves his body.
"I don't want you to be mad at me." She whispers with a raspy voice.
Her back is still facing him but she sits up.
"What happened?" He asks with a serious tone.

(Y/n) slowly turns to her best friend and his eyes widen.
Her left eye is black and blue, her lip is split and red but not bleeding and her cheek is puffy.
"I couldn't protect myself, even after you went through the trouble of teaching me. It came out of nowhere, the abuse and break up."
"He did this to you?" Dazai asks in a menacing tone.
(Y/n) was scared to answer but she nods. "Please don't be mad at me." She whispers.
To her surprise he hugs her tightly.
"I could never be mad at you." He whispers in her ear. "But I will murder him."
"You'd get arrested and leave me behind. Please don't. Just leave him alone." The girl begs.
Her fists clench his shirt as she buries her face in his chest.
Against his better judgment he agrees.
He holds her close and comforts her.

A few months later (Y/n) was fully healed and is over her ex.
All thanks to Dazai, as well as the port mafia and agency members.
Thankfully for her ex they didn't go after him to break every bone in his body...or murder him.
Unlike Dazai, (Y/n) remained friends with the mafia members when he left.
They all considered her a younger sister, or in the elders' cases a daughter.
Even Akutagawa took a liking to her, which he would never admit to of course.

(Y/n) hums to herself as she walks down the sidewalk, looking at merchandise in the windows.
"(Y/n) is that you?"
The girl's body turns stiff as she recognizes the voice.
Instead of answering or turning to her ex she quickly runs away.
As fast as her legs could carry her she ran into the agency office.
"(Y/n)? What's wrong?" Kunikida asks, standing up.
"Little mystery?" Dazai whispers, walking over to his friend.
"He saw me. He recognized me. H-he...he..." She trails off, her head in his chest and grips his vest tightly.
His body stiffens as well at the mention of the man.
"Who are you both talking about?" Atsushi asks, walking over.
"Her ex." Dazai responds with a serious tone and straight face.

"I remember him. He didn't follow you did he?" Kunikida questions, pushing his glasses up.
"I don't think so. I didn't look at him and just ran here." She responds and sniffles softly, wiping her face with a tissue the tiger boy gave her.
"I don't want you going out alone. Call me if you need to go somewhere. I don't want him anywhere near you, especially alone."
Dazai's fists clench as he thinks about the man.
The murderous rage fills him once again, but he extinguishes it when he sees her sad expression.
He rubs her back gently and holds her close.
"I'm sure the president won't mind if we all take turns watching over you." Kunikida comments and rubs her back. "I can bring it up to him now. Why don't you go home and relax."
"He's right. I'll take you home and make sure everything is ok." The brunette looks into his friend's eyes and smiles softly.
(Y/n) nods and holds onto his arm.

As they reach her apartment they find him in front of the building.
"(Y/n), it was you! I'm so glad to see you." He was about to hug the woman but Dazai pushes her behind himself.
"Don't even think about touching her. You're lucky you're still alive."
The man smirks and crosses his arms. "Still got your mafia dog huh (Y/n)? Well I'm not here for you. I want to speak to my darling."
(Y/n) grips Dazai's jacket and peaks her head out. "What do you want?"
The man's expression turns serious as he looks at the woman.
"I want you back. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the mistakes I made. I know I hurt you and I regret that every day. I know how amazing you are and I remember all the fun times we had."
"You couldn't be more insincere. I'm sure you're quoting a book that every asshat uses to get their ex's back. Especially when you're the one who fucked up." Dazai interrupts in a calm but menacing tone.
"I'm bigger than you Dazai. I could take you in a fight. Why don't you scurry along? This has nothing to do with you."

(Y/n) shakes her head. She may have loved him once but that feeling would never come back.
"She doesn't want you. So you should leave now, before you regret your future actions."
"I definitely won't regret beating you to a pulp." The ex goes to throw a punch but Dazai dodges and kicks the man in the stomach.
(Y/n) step out of the way. She felt helpless and guilty.
I can't do anything! Osa is fighting for me. Why can't I do something?
Her thoughts race all at once but her mind snaps and goes blank.
She grabs Dazai's gun, walks up to her ex and shoots him in the stomach.
The agent watches in shock.
The other man smirks at first, thinking she was giving into him. Although, upon feeling the ripping feeling of the bullet he groans loudly and falls to the ground.
(Y/n) stands over the man and gives him the same terrifying look as Dazai. "Stay away from me," she whispers.

Dazai quickly takes the gun, putting it back where it belongs and holds (Y/n) from behind.
She grips his arms and hunches over slightly.
He buries his face in her hair and strokes her hair gently. "You're ok. Just calm down."
(Y/n) begins crying so Dazai turns her body so she cries into his chest.
"Little mystery~" he sing-songs quietly.
The woman blushes and slowly calms down.
"Let's go to my place, ok little mystery?"
She nods slightly and grips his vest. "Yes please," she whispers with a raspy voice.