New Adoption

(Y/n) sniffles softly and wipes her tears.
Her hands shake as she lifts her money can up to see what's inside.
Only a few coins glint in the sunlight, but not enough to buy any food.
She's been on the streets for a while now but she hasn't eaten for nearly a week.
Her whole body feels weak and she can barely move.
She wished her ability could produce food for her rumbling stomach.
Alas her ability: Portals, didn't transport food or drink alone.
Just people and whatever they're holding.

Dazai walks by the river and notices the young girl, maybe 12 or 13 leaning against a building.
She looks like she's on death's door.
Lucky her. Dazai thinks to himself. Well...maybe not. She looks like she's suffering.
As he walks past her her whispered cries stop him in his tracks.
"I don't wanna die."
His Oda trigger kicks in and he turns to the girl.

He looks into her can and sees the few coins.
A deep sigh first then he clears his throat.
(Y/n) looks at the brunette, her vision is blurry though. "Sir?"
"You don't wanna die huh? Then maybe I can help you find a purpose."
The man reaches his hand out to the girl.
She reaches out to him but her hand falls and her vision goes black.

When she wakes up she looks around and sees white.
"Did I finally die? No one will mourn me so I guess there's no point caring anymore. I'll take whatever comes, punishment or paradise."
"You're not dead my dear. My ability saved you. And now I need you to eat. You're very underweight and we need you at 100%."
A pretty woman walks into the girl's view.
"You're not that man. Did he leave me?" (Y/n) asks, voice hoarse.
"Dazai is in the office waiting for you to wake up. I'll send him in. I'm Akiko Yosano by the way. I'm glad you're ok now."

After she leaves it didn't take long for the brunette to come in.
"I'm glad you're awake. I was afraid my new adoption died in my arms. I couldn't have that."
"Adoption?" The (h/c) questions.
"Yep. I've adopted you and now if you wish to live I will provide. And as a bonus you can have a job with me if you pass the entrance exam."
"A job?"
"You're a little young but if you want I can talk to the president and make arrangements."

(Y/n) didn't know how to respond.
So much information was being thrown at her and her back-from-the-dead brain couldn't process it.
Finally realization washes over her and tears stream down her cheeks again.
Dazai sits on the bed next to her and wipes her cheek.
She hugs him tightly, against her weak body's wishes.
He hugs back and pats her back.

"I want to live." She finally whispers. "I'll do whatever you want."
"Do you have an ability?"
The girl nods. "I can make portals."
"That's great. Those are useful. Why don't you eat and we'll talk when you get your strength back."
(Y/n) nods and eats the food in front of her.

As the weeks go by, the stronger she gets.
Dazai put a futon for her next to his.
She frequently has nightmares so he would let her lay closer to him for comfort.
Strangely enough he also found comfort in sleeping with her.
He had better sleep and slept longer than usual.
As long as she slept close to him she stopped having nightmares.

Once she was strong enough to attempt the agency entrance exam the president began thinking of the best way to test her.
"She's a child, Dazai. I don't want her out in the field. Don't you think we should wait until she's older."
"Kyoka was 14 when she joined the agency. Not to mention younger as a mafia member. I was 14 and a mafia executive at 15."
"We are not the same as the Port Mafia Dazai." The president grumbles.

"Little mystery, I need you to open a portal and come here quickly!" Dazai yells into his earpiece.
(Y/n)'s eyes widen and she quickly does as instructed. "Papa, I'm here! What's wrong?" She looks around quickly but her eyes widen, seeing they're on a battlefield.
Chuuya growls, hands in his pockets.
Ryunosuke walks over slowly, looking between his old mentor and the girl.
"Little mystery, prove you wanna live and fight with me."

The two mafia members growl and attack.
(Y/n) uses her portals to protect her father. (Well adoptive father)
Since she couldn't actually transport the attacks the portals merely absorb the energy.
(Y/n) does her best to fight against the older men but she also knew she couldn't beat them.
Best to pull out and regather with the others.
She grabs Dazai's hand, makes a portal and gets back to the office.

Dazai watches the girl pant, hunched over.
"That was very impressive. You did everything right." The agency head compliments.
(Y/n) looks at the man confused. "Huh?"
"That was all a test to see if you could work for the agency." Junnichiro informs.
"A test? But it felt so real. I thought they were going to kill us. I didn't want you to die."
Dazai chuckles quietly and hugs the girl. "It was real, that's why the test was effective. We needed to know how you fight and how you think under pressure."
"You knew you couldn't win the fight so you retreated to get back up. You're still a child but you are smart. I happily welcome you to the Armed Detective Agency." The president smiles and bows.
The rest of the agency members cheer while the girl blushes and smiles softly.