Reconcile

(Y/n) has only ever known Dazai since he joined the Agency. She has only ever interacted with his silly, childish side, never his serious.
So much so that she wonders if he has a serious side.
Because Dazai has been around death his whole life it doesn't faze him nor does it bother him.
Unfortunately (Y/n) has not.
So when her parents die he brushed it off as just another part of life.
His girlfriend didn't take that too well.

"My parents are dead! How can you act like it's nothing?" She exclaims, her eyes still puffy from crying.
"It happens every day. I-"
"It doesn't happen every day Dazai. How can you say that?"
This was the first time she's used his last name.
The brunette frowns at the name and looks into her eyes.
"You're unbelievable! Are you going to go dance on their graves too? I bet you would. You're so childish and I'm afraid you couldn't act serious if you tried."

Tears continue to stream down her face while she walks away.
Dazai sighs and goes back to work. He didn't know how to respond to her.
Obviously he knew how to be serious but he didn't understand why it was such a big deal.
Then again he lost his parents when he was young so he hasn't thought about them for a long time.
While sitting at his desk, doing paperwork he doesn't want to do, he thinks more about everything.

Eventually his big brain figures it out.
(Y/n) needs maturity, comfort and understanding.
Her parents were good people and they were all close, so their loss hit her hard.
Now she needs Dazai to comfort her and tell her, "yes it will hurt, but everything will be ok."
Not, "it happens get over it."
Now while that's not what he actually said, that's what it felt like.

Dazai walks into their shared bedroom and sits next to the woman who is laying on their futon.
Her back remains facing him and she sniffles softly.
"I know you probably won't believe me, but I am sorry. Little mystery I didn't take into consideration just how different we are. I should've realized sooner how much this would hurt you."
(Y/n) remains silent.
"I'm desensitized to death so it doesn't bother me anymore. But you are not surrounded by it, don't deal with it all the time. Of course you would react differently than me. Please forgive me."
He slowly puts his hand on her arm and rubs gently.

(Y/n) slowly turns onto her other side and looks into his eyes.
His heart clenches seeing her stained cheeks and glassy eyes.
Dazai lays next to her and rubs her cheek with his thumb. "I'm sorry." He whispers softly.
His eyes travel between her eyes and lips.
(Y/n) kisses him gently to which he returns immediately, just as gentle.
Unfortunately she pulls away and lays her head against his chest.
"What have you been through to make you like this?" She asks, quiet enough for him to almost miss what she said.

Dazai sighs and holds her close. "More than I care to share little mystery. Just know I'm sorry and I understand why you're upset. I will try to do better next time."
(Y/n) frowns but nods. She squeezes her eyes closed and grips his shirt.
"I love you." The brunette whispers then kisses her forehead.
"I love you too." She whispers back.