Reason

//short and sweet. Hope you enjoy. Requests are always open so leave a comment or dm me 😁

I don't understand. I think I lost the ability to.
Why do other people get to be happy when all my life is just suffering? Why can't I be happy?
My ability allows me to only hurt people.
I don't want it. I don't want to hurt people.
Those around me like to remind me that I should die, then all the killing would stop.
After 20 years I've come to realize they're right.
If I die everything will be fine. I won't hurt anyone and my pain will go away.
My suffering will end.
The life I've known has never been and never will be happy.

Finally, one day, I decided it was time to go.
Suicide is the best option and a non-messy way so no one is hindered by me anymore.
But maybe if I jump off a roof...
Before I knew it I was on a rooftop, overlooking the city at sunset.
It's so pretty.
The most amazing sight to see just before I die.
Blue, purple and pink. Hints of orange and red.
I close my eyes as I stand on the ledge, holding the railing with both hands.
My hair blows in the wind as I take a deep breath.
My foot lifts up but before I can fall I feel a hand grasp my wrist.
I quickly look behind myself to see a tall brunette.
His arms are covered in bandages and his brown coat reaches his knees.

"I don't think a beautiful girl like you should be painting the sidewalk.
"Who are you?" I ask as he pulls me back to the roof.
"My name is Dazai." He responds and smiles.
I look away. "You should've let me die. I don't want to live. My ability only hurts people and my life isn't worth living. I don't know what happiness feels like. Plus you don't know me."
"You're right. I don't know you, and I have no right to stop you. Especially since I've tried to do the same on multiple occasions."
"Is that what the bandages are for?"
Dazai looks at his arms then back at me. He doesn't respond but smiles slightly.
I look down then turn back to the railing. "I want to know happiness." I whisper softly. I grip the railing with both hands again.
"I can show you happiness." The man offers.
I turn to him quickly. "What?" I ask, shocked.
He laughs softly and holds out his hand. "Let me show you happiness. I can be your beacon in the mist."
My mouth opens slightly, as if to respond, but nothing comes out.
I didn't know how.
A random stranger is offering me something impossible.
"I'm joking. I'm not the right guy for the job. I'm still trying to find a reason to live myself."
Before I knew it, my lips moved on their own.
"Then let's find a reason together."
It is his turn to look surprised.
I smile at the thought. "I-I can help you and you can save me."
Dazai hesitates before bowing. "Then my lady. Shall we find a purpose in life or end ours together."
"It's a deal." I respond and curtsy.