The Little Girl's Diary

In the underground facility, two humans were being accommodated for unknown reasons by the machines. Their needs would be taken care of and were treated in a way fit for royalty but were isolated still. Little did they know, they were being tested and studied by their supposed saviors by observing their behaviors, quirks, and aptitudes in key areas of intelligence and human characteristics.

A few days prior, Caitlyn suggested giving the nameless young girl at of biological age of 6 her own blank notebook and a pen to serve as her diary. It would be used to monitor her intelligence and hidden attitudes if successful. The little girl was subjected to numerous painless experiments which meddled with the part of her brain which controlled her IQ levels. They also tampered with the speed of her neurons in processing information as it happens and to study memory.

Artemis entered the mother and daughter containment cell during the night. The two were asleep and were cuddled up in their queen-sized bed. The containment cell was a large six by six room, complete with modern furnishing, a television was placed over the wall to the right and several couches of red color were placed along edges along with a vase which had several special flowers in it. The tiles were ceramic and the ceiling was white and simple, the walls were plastered with copies of simple artistic works from ink on a white background.

On the ground was a book, the little girl had left the notebook given to her on the ground and the pen right next to it. Artemis walked towards it and picked up the pen, the ink had decreased and this was evidence that the little girl had used it. Without a second thought, Artemis picked the notebook up and flipped it open. The little girl had turned it into a diary.

-----

It's been many suns and moons since I and mama were rescued by these strange people, I don't know why they did but I'm happy. :)

They gave me this little book and this strange 'pen' as they call it, such strange things but they're fun! They also placed me in some sort of box and when I came out, I knew how to write! It's a miracle! I don't understand some of their words though. These strange people here talk in a strange language of numbers and calling which I am unfamiliar with.

Hihihi, a horse.

Mama is currently lying on her bed *There was a very bad scribble of a smiley face* we have this big room! Bigger than our house back in the village, I was always teased by my friends for having a small hut while theirs were big, but they're meanies! They bullied mama! But thanks to our heroes, we live better here than back there.

The food here is soooo... goood! I've never tasted such food. I don't even know what most of what they served us was called. At first, I was hesitant when I woke up and this scary looking guy went inside the strange room where I woke up in. He had a very scary face and I couldn't look at him straight! Those lifeless red eyes and pale skin, he looked like an undead! But!! He gave me the best food ever!

**The rest of the page was a drawing of the plate and food which Artemis served to the little girl when she first awoke, it was surprisingly neater and nicer than her sorry excuse for a scribble face**

He then gave me to mama, she was scared Q_Q I was scared too, she didn't think we were safe but the creepy looking guy ensured our safety and I was relieved :) Well, mama took quite more time. I haven't seen the outside yet, they said it was dangerous to go out but they didn't say why, I asked the scary looking guy the other day. I told him I wanted to see what was outside. He looked a bit dead inside but gave me a reply. "Soon" He simply told me, but his reply meant I would eventually see what was out there! This made me excited!

Also…

-----

Artemis stopped reading as the sentence ended there. It seemed like the little girl was too tired to continue her writing frenzy and decided to tuck in. Artemis carefully placed the book and the pen back to their original places on the floor and headed out. He scanned the room for a few moments before finally resting his eyes on the two who were snuggled on their bed.

"Hm, I wonder how long she'll last" He whispered. He then felt someone poke him from behind. He turned around and saw Caitlyn looking at him grumpily.

"You don't plan on blowing away my favorite pet right?" Caitlyn grumbled.

"You've only just met her yesterday, you weren't even mentioned in her diary and besides, I'm talking about the side effects of our experiments,"

"Well…" Caitlyn placed her hands to her chest and had her eyes half open.

"If she survives, can she be my personal pet? We can use her for human interaction. Simple brainwashing will do the trick,"

Artemis seemed perplexed of Caitlyn's suggestions, originally he took the two in as nothing more than research subjects to study human nature since he lacked the understanding of simple and basic humanity.

"The mother should be continued to be treated well, a good bond between mother and daughter would greatly influence their actions, also we can brainwash them to our way of thinking and have them as loyal human drones, just like the natives we took in"

"Eh," Artemis simply thought, "I just wanted to study how to be human,"

Artemis continued to stare at Caitlyn who was stuck in her lax pose, she also continued on explaining how she'll turn the little girl into her minion before Artemis could drag her off the containment cell.

As the door to the room closed, the little girl appeared from underneath the bed sheets and yawned.

"It was Mister and the new lady,"

She slowly extended her feet to the floor and navigated through the dim lit room. She then took her little notebook and the pen and proceeded to write her thoughts once more. The Android observing the room were baffled. Did a kid just trick them? They were certain she was in deep sleep.

Anyhow, the little girl went on to write her thoughts, happily humming the tune of a song she heard when the television was first turned on.

"Moonlight Sonataaaa.."

Her clothes were newly-made prewar pajamas contrary to the patient uniform she was presented with along with her mother when she first woke up. She found the pajamas comfortable and neat, her room was cold due to the air-conditioning and so she would regularly wrap herself in a small blanket.

Thoughts of the outside world flashed in her mind. Those who had given her sweets way back before and the friends she had back at the village. She stopped writing and wiped a small tear that ran down her face. She faced her mother who was still asleep in the bed and stayed closer. Even if she has no friends at all in this room, she considers the mister who had given her food and the new lady who had given her the presents as friends.

Remembering the outside world once again she decided to draw the scenes that played in her head the best that she could. She drew the skies, the clouds the trees and the plains that surrounded her village. The farm that her friend has once shown her and the animals that was in it. The girl then noticed wet spots on the notebook smearing the ink and smudging the pages. She touched her cheek and felt the stream of tears falling down her face. The emotions then explode and she wept uncontrollably.

Placing the notebook and the pen down, she then curled up within the sheets and cried herself to sleep. The Androids continued monitoring her and sent the data to the mainframe.