Melancholy

The fiberglass walls were dyed black, and thus the light which came from the sun that streaked during the day was tainted as such whenever the rays passed through and shined inside the dark abode of the Overall. He was sitting on his chair, laid back and eyes opened wide. He held in his right hand a piece of paper, on that piece of paper were names, and those names were unknown to him.

From the time he awoke and up until the present day, he has seen much development of events that make no sense whatsoever but make up the reality he is in. If a normal human-being were he, he would have descended into madness the moment he awoke and realized the reality of the situation he was in.

A world destroyed, humanity wiped out and what accompanied him were nothing more than metal puppets who were useless without someone to guide them. Thankfully, he awoke as a within a machine, or you could say, a machine within a man. Both can be true and both are equally terrifying regardless.

At first, when he awoke, he knew nothing and because he knew nothing, within him, came the drive to know something and that drive eventually led him to where he is now. He often wondered and thought whenever he was alone, who he was, is everything real or was he stuck inside a dream? A dream in which he will never awaken from or maybe he lives in a sad reality that only he can see while others place him behind girded walls and observe him through the glass.

In a dream, although it may seem real, although it may feel real, you can always differentiate a dream from reality. Because reality is always harsh and forever will be harsh while dreams, though can become nightmares, can always be changed even by the slightest margin.

His eyes slowly moved and his pupils focused on the paper, he did not move his head nor his neck, he only moved his eyes to catch a glimpse of the piece of paper he held.

Zack.

That is his name, or so Caitlyn claims it to be. Rather, who is Caitlyn? Why does he have the feeling that she can be trusted? Why did he act so naively? Why does he blindly follow orders? These questions would haunt him, not always but when they come, they hit him hard.

He did not lose humanity because he was a machine, no, it was because he chose to. When he awoke, he felt a streak of madness and a combination of hysteria. That was his peak of showing any signs of humanity before suddenly, when the last strikes of pain in his head faded and the gears of the machine started to roll, he decided to abandon it all.

He suppressed his humanity and formed a personality centered around the idea of a logic-based thinking and philosophy, where science rules and the beliefs without credit must be destroyed, burned and forgotten into the abyss of history. He did it out of his own self-pity, he pitied himself and due to his selfishness, he decided to hide his weakness.

But when the portal to another world opened, when he encountered other humans, when he discovered a world that stood on the foundations that even science could not properly explain, he was pushed to the brink of collapse, his mind almost could not handle this sudden twist in reality and that he was no more than a mere speck in a vast ocean of the unknown that he knows as the universe.

Zack.

The name was written on the paper, and above that name was an unfamiliar name, something he clearly does not remember but whenever he sees it, a bout of sadness would strike and the very wall that he set up to contain what he deemed unnecessary would be subjected to the stress and would almost falter under the weight.