Mercy

Reinhard's line of sight went dark. He didn't know where he was but he felt a sharp pain on his back.

As the trauma from the fall began to fade, he began to hear the muffled cries of the people around him and the rumble of rocks and footsteps. 

"Reinhard!" A familiar voice called out to him.

Reinhard then managed to open his eyes. The voice was his friend Jord who was shoving him awake. 

Reinhard slowly looked around to see where he was, he was surrounded by piles of rubble, mainly parts of the wall. He saw the crushed remains of many of the soldiers that were caught in the energy beam that swept through the Eastern section and devastated the wall therein.

"Reinhard! The gate has been destroyed, we need to form a defense now!" Jord pleaded.

Reinhard, although dazed and hurting, forced his body up. He staggered to his feet with help from Jord. They unsheathed their swords and headed to the main site of destruction, the now ruined gate. 

The peasants were scrambling for their lives, the cries of children filled the air as either their parents laid dead on the floor, buried beneath the rubble of their homes or have lost some of their limbs. 

Mothers wept as they carried the motionless bodies of their children while fathers tried to grab whatever weapon they had. 

The remaining garrison troops were utterly terrified. They shuddered at the intense aura that was approaching them as they stood in it's way.

"Men!" A voice cried out, snapping them out of their fearful trance. 

It was the voice of their commander, Reinhard. They all looked at him but instead of feeling a glimmer of hope shine within their hearts, they were devastated to see Reinhard already bloodied with the fight not had even started.

But still, they had no choice but to stand their ground and Reinhard was the only person they could count on. 

The total number of knights that were left numbered around four hundred and they formed a shield wall around the ruined gate with Reinhard taking charge of the left flank and Jord taking charge of the right flank.

In the distance in front of them stood the figure that single handedly obliterated the wall and most of the knights. 

"Where are the mages?" Reinhard shouted to Jord.

"Most of them were over the towers!" Jord shouted back.

Reinhard then glanced at the towers where they once stood. Their top half were completely blown off.

"Tsk, we don't have any mages to back us up!" Reinhard said.

"Wait!' A voice came from behind him. 

Reinhard turned around and behind him was a young man with jet black hair, wearing both red and blue mage uniform that seem a bit tight, and his age might be in his young 20s.

"What magic do you specialize in?" Reinhard asked.

"Ice magic, sir," The young man said.

"Your rank?" Reinhard asked.

"Early C-rank, sir" The young man said.

"Your name?" Reinhard asked.