I'm Sorry

The sun was only a few hours away from rising but the moons were still in full light. Only the storm clouds above shielded the foxmen from turning.

The knights did not have a clear explanation what would happen if the light of the double moon sonata struck them. The captain was only warned by the foxman that they must not let them turn.

The fox family covered themselves with the sheets of the villagers that were massacred. The entire village was not spared, not the women nor the children.

The knights made sure to hack and slash everyone inside the village. The foxman that was reluctant at first to face off against the villagers became the most ferocious and massacred the ones who managed to escape the knights.

His mouth and his body covered in their blood. He gnawed and clawed them to their deaths without remorse. He did, however, let his victims curse him before he delivered the final blow.

He took pleasure in their despair. The same despair that they caused to the other demihumans in and around the borders of the Theocracy. For the foxman, what he did was merely vengeance.

He was vengeful and hated the Theocracy so much. His hate, however, did not extend to all humans in general. What prevented him from hating every human because there were states like the Dioz Kingdom who actually accepted them as who they were. Dioz was like a shining beacon in the darkness of their world.

When he heard that Dioz would send a rescue as long as they send out the proper magic signature, he scoured far and wide, avoiding the hunters sent by the Theocracy.

He led his family through the wilderness, forced to live like the lower animals that were very much like them but less intelligent. Over time their sanity began to fade and he feared that his children would become like the wild beasts that roamed.

To his luck, he found a magic crystal hidden inside a cave. Beside the crystal was a skeleton of a mage from an unknown sect. He knew the skeleton was a mage because of the clothing it left behind. The clothing resembled the uniforms of the Theocracy mages that hunted them down but were different in color. While the Theocracy sported the different shades of blue, this skeleton had a black uniform.

Once he took the crystal, it let out a cry. The cry was loud and echoed our of the cave and into the wilderness. It alerted a nearby hunter group of mages and they were now in hot pursuit. The foxman still took the magic crystal and he dashed out of the cave and into the woods. Just as he came out, the hunters arrived.

They threw, magical missiles, fireballs, and ice crystals at him but failed to hit him. Instead, they chased him down in the wilderness and into a river. The foxman with all his might jumped over the rather violent river but fell short. He was taken by the rapid water but held on tightly to tue magic crystal.

The mages saw him byron did not pursue him further. Because at the end of the river was a waterfall, and judging by the speed of the river, the foxman would not survive the fall.

The foxman noticed the edge of the waterfall too late and he fell. Crashing into the river below, he used his arms to protect the crystal but were in turn broken.

The crystal activated and that activation actually saved him. The crystal had cast a sort of protection magic around him, saving him from certain death. The foxman then swam to the edge and lifted himself onto solid ground.