Chapter 14

I woke up in the middle of the night. A nightmare had torn me awake and I found myself sweating and breathing heavily at the thought of Bryce breaking down my bedroom door and hitting me.

Holding a few breaths in, I placed my hand over my chest and glanced at my surroundings that steer clear from any danger, including Bryce.

My room was dark, the only light slipping in was from the glass window. It was streaks of golden street lights that lit up a part of my room.

Reality rushed to me and in a snap of a moment, I was all better yet the speeding of my heartbeat continued to store the fear of Bryce inside me. It was over and he was gone. I shouldn't be expecting him to return anytime soon after what King had done to him. Furthermore, I assumed he had given him a threat that wouldn't let Bryce take the path to my home ever.

I stepped up and stood on my feet. Blood rushed over to my body and head. Tearing the blanket, I threw it over the bed and walked over to the door. My fingers quivered as I opened the door took to have a look outside.

When I found Aunt Carol's shoes by the door, I finally felt in peace. She was home and I was safe. It was late, the clock was ticking to four in the morning and I remembered going to bed just a couple of hours ago.

Unsure of how I had slept, I ignored it and returned to the window. Parting the curtains, I took a peek, searching for the wolf that hadn't spent a night without terrifying me. He had been standing on its all fours right in front of my house for the past few days.

But he wasn't here anymore.

I searched for him out of curiosity but was unable to find the wolf. The streets were dim and clear. Where was he? There hadn't been a single day without him gawking into my eyes and setting my heart on a path of fear. Where was he today?

Confused, I returned to the bed and threw the sheets over me. As my eyes closed, I only thought about the wolf and where he had disappeared to.

The water boiled in the saucepan. I stared at the bubbles for too long until Aunt Carol's voice rang in my ears.

"You should file a restraining order against him!" She exclaimed.

I switched off the flame and turned to her to only find bags underneath her eyes and a big cup of tea in her hand. She had only woken up a while earlier and the first thing she questioned was about the window.

I told her the truth.

But left the part where King had saved me.

It was too early to let anyone know that I was interested in someone, someone like King Emerson, who had a great history in this town.

"It's not necessary. I'm sure it won't happen again." I replied with a smile. "He was drunk and all. It's fine."

"It is not, Eos." Aunt Carol neared and held my hand. "I don't want to see you hurt because of anyone. You have seen so much pain in your life. Your breakup with him was terrible and I don't ever want you returning to him."

"I won't." I shook my head.

It hadn't even raced through my mind that I would let Bryce return to me or I would go to him.

He cheated on me.

It wasn't too long ago when I caught him with Krystal in my own bedroom. I was completely blacked out that evening. The party was at my house, there were many other girls and guys around, getting drunk and high. Aunt Carol was staying with her friends then, having a party of her own.

When I woke up in the middle of the night with a mind-numbing headache, I headed up to my room and found Bryce in the arms of Krystal. There wasn't even a flicker of shame in their eyes when I caught them, fucking each other, on my bed.

It ended right then and there.

And it was painful.

Aunt Carol blew out a breath and continued with motherly care in her eyes. "Even then, I don't want him to come near you. He was toxic, it should have ended long ago. Better today than later. I'll still speak to his parents at the town hall tonight. That should keep him away from you." She spun her head around, glancing at the door lock. "I'll get those locks changed as well. He must have got the key to the house somehow." She was taking charge and it made me want to smile from within.

"Thank you," I whispered to her.

"You're like my daughter. You don't need to thank me." She kissed the side of my cheek before thrashing the rest of her tea into the sink and walking out of the kitchen. "Just be happy!"

As she left, I narrowed my eyes to my cup and poured the boiling water inside it before mixing some coffee. The night was gone and the new morning was promising. I had woken up only a while earlier and spent the past hour in my bed, remembering the beautiful date I had with King and how his arms were wrapped around me.

I wished it lasted forever.

There was serenity, hope, and everything good in me when I was with him, even if it was just for a couple of hours. There was so much I felt, so many emotions that were drawn out of me. I was complete, for a moment.

Just a moment.

After getting my coffee, I sat near the garden outside and enjoyed mother nature. The birds flew all over the town and their little voices rang in my ears. The weather was beautiful, warm, and windy.

My phone buzzed over the table on the porch and I ignored it until it buzzed again. Setting my cup, I picked up the phone and quickly looked at the random number that was calling me.

Picking it up, I said, "Hello?"

"Hello, Eos Whitney Brown. Missed me?"

No one knew my full name except for one person.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr