Chapter 67

I wanted to shift and turn into the wild werewolf I was. The urge was stronger than it had ever been. I could feel the power of my wolf racing through my nerves, forcing me to let her out just as everyone else was. A thousand werewolves were scattered all over the lake and the nearby wolves.

I remained in control while everyone else, the majority of the werewolves, didn't.

Cold air brushed around me and the wind grew violent as several howls echoed through the night. I was curious about what had happened.

King had transformed into a werewolf, the animal I had only seen once a long time before. Then, I was terrified of it but now I had eased down to it. It wasn't as scary as it was, like before.

I could look straight into his bright red eyes and not feel any fear crawling down my spine. My heart didn't race but I was confused.

"What's happening?" I whispered to Gabriella who had the same control over her wolf just as I did. There were only a few of us that hadn't shifted along with Arnold and the Mayor.

Why?

The rest seemed like they were forced to shift without will, as if they needed to.

"He's calling for his wolves. Taking control. Awakening the ones that had been sleeping for months, some of them for years." She trailed off, her eyes were filled with excitement as if she had enjoyed seeing it. "He's taking his position in the pack as the Alpha."

"So, they didn't know who their Alpha was?" I raised a brow while my eyes wandered over the werewolves that were on their all fours, bowing to King who was above us.

"Some of them did. Some of them don't. The awakening helps those who aren't aware of the Alpha. They let them know who is in control. The last time this had happened, it was nearly seven years ago and that was also the last time King was in town—or I was." She continued, explaining to me.

I finally understood what was happening here.

As there was a danger in town, King wanted everyone to hunt down the hunters along with himself. He was demanding help and at the same time submission.

"Why didn't I turn? Why—why didn't you?" I stared at Gabriella and the rest around me that hadn't turned. There were few other men that were surrounding us and they hadn't shifted as well.

I wanted to know why.

"You're able to resist the urge of shifting because you're his mate, the Alpha's mate and I'm able to do so as I'm his blood-related cousin. Arnold, on the other hand, has orders by King not to shift at this time. Thomas is the Beta of the pack, therefore, he doesn't need to shift." Gabriella took a spin around, noticing the rest of us in our human forms. "The rest either have orders or they have a good position in the pack."

I nodded my head, understanding her. It made some sense, the rest of it didn't need to.

I wrapped my arms around my shoulders and waited for the chaos to come to an end. The werewolves standing near the lake began getting quieter, the howl lessoned and they remained intact in their positions.

It was a tad bit surprising to realize that one man had control over a thousand werewolves.

Only one man.

It was the kind of control you couldn't find anywhere. The way King's people ran to him just at his one call was eye-opening. It appeared like there were ties between the werewolves and their Alpha, King, and those ties couldn't be severed.

A few minutes passed by and a pair of warm hands wriggled around my waist. I gasped and quickly turned around to find King standing behind me. He was shirtless and no longer in his wolf form.