Chapter 35

35

"Hello. You'll probably get this after a while but I'm on the plane and I'll be landing in a few hours. You don't need to pick me from the airport because we have a rented bus that's taking all of us to the hotel but do pick me up from the hotel. I can't wait to see you!"

Beatrice left a voicemail that reached to me to me the next morning when I forced myself out of the bed. It had been a few puzzled days.

Questions were crawling in my head non-stop, thoughts were jumbling up and I found myself becoming more and more anxious. Even when everything seemed fine, I still couldn't come in terms with all that had happened to me over the course of the past few weeks.

I stared at myself in the mirror again, gawking for long, waiting till the animal inside me flashed by and I got a glance of her. I peeled my eyes away from the mirror and narrowed them to my hands. There was nothing odd occurring with my body. Yet I had the fear of snapping and turning into a wolf and harming everyone around me, especially Aunt Carol.

I avoided her a lot in the same fear and stayed out late at night till she left the house and went for her work. On other days, I locked myself up in my bedroom and watched movies till time passed by. The idea of piercing my canines through her body was vile and vicious but even then, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Was this normal?

I didn't know. It had been a few days since I was last in contact with King. My feelings toward him were still mixed and I couldn't figure out if I wanted him or not. It was a struggle to control the urge to run to him and gather myself in his arms.

I jumped back away from my dresser at the sound of Aunt Carol walking upstairs and knocking on my room door.

At first, I lined my lips together and dared not to make a sound, hoping she'd believe I was still asleep.

"Eos," She called out my name and I continued to ignore her. "Eos, darling, there is a gift for you."

A gift.

I sighed and unlocked the door before pulling it slightly open. "I was using the washroom." I said quickly.

Aunt Carol allowed herself inside my room. She went past me and placed the basket of flowers on my bed. My brows furrowed in confusion. Flowers? Getting a closer look, I found a bundle of lilies and roses placed together on a wooden basket that was neatly wrapped up.

"Good morning to you too," Carol said, drawing my curtains open. "Someone dropped this earlier in the morning. I was about to leave when I saw it. Is it your secret admirer?" She asked, folding her arms across her chest, and leaning against the dresser.

I quickly panicked and pushed a few strands of my hair behind my ears before rushing over to the flowers. "No, no. It must be Beatrice. She must've landed today." I said, hoping it was her and not someone I was missing.

"All right," Carol took my answer and she walked toward the door to leave my room, "Get some food in before going anywhere. I'll be home by nine." She waved her hands before closing the door behind her and going down.

My heart started beating harder and harder in my chest. My pulse raced. I stepped froward and undid the plastic wrap around the flowers. The scent of the beautiful roses and lilies hit me once more and I inhaled.

It couldn't be Beatrice.

I slipped my fingers underneath the small white paper placed on the corner, by the flower. Pulling it up, I tore it from the stick and opened to see the note written.

I found my breathing quicken as my eyes ran through the words.

I hope you're doing well so far. This is probably the worst way to reach out, but I promised to give you space and time to heal that's why I didn't call or drop a message. I'm flying back to the city today. Work has been piling up. I came here to find my mate and manage a few things and I was able to do all that.

I wish I could see you once more, hold you for another minute. Whatever we had in between us was amazing and I'll miss it a lot. I surely will miss you as well. I'm not backing away from my words. Whenever you need me, you can reach out and I'll be there for you even if it's the smallest of the situation.

You're my mate and I want to wait for however long it takes for you to accept and thrive your new life.

King.

A smile hung over my lips only for a few seconds before it disappeared. I dropped the note on the bed and turned to the mirror. Color drained from my face and my nerves bundled up.

It struck me. He was leaving. My heart raced. I grabbed my keys off the table and ran downstairs at the thought of King leaving the town. It barely had been days and I couldn't let him go without saying a goodbye.

What if something happened to me and he'd be just gone? I didn't know anyone else and no one else could help me—not the way I wanted to be helped. Thoughts ran in my head rapidly as I ran down the stairs and past Aunt Carol who was about to leave.

"So, it was the admirer." She crossed her arms over her chest and smiled. The bright sunlight flashed on her face as she stood outside the door, on the porch, carefully looking at me rush inside my car and start the engine.

I didn't wait a second. I waved my hand at Aunt Carol before reversing and taking a sharp turn out of the driveway. Sunlight blinded me. I hissed and threw on my shades. It had been difficult adjusting my vision after the entire transformation. Sometimes I saw flashes of red and for most part, I couldn't understand what it was.

I needed King.

I couldn't deal with this alone. I had no one else to turn to, no one who could understand this except for King. He gave me the bite and he only knew how I could adjust with it.

I drove through the streets fast and reached the nearest airport that was twenty minutes away from Carol's house. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware when he had sent me those flowers.

Was he on the plane already? Was he gone?

My breathing grew rapid. I grasped on the steering wheel tight as a frown appeared on my face.

My car came to a halt at the parking of the airport where I found a dozen people getting inside and getting on the plane. A quick survey later I realized I wouldn't be able to find King here. No one could. He was King Emerson, of course he was going to fly private.

I took a quick turn around and fastened toward the private planes on the other end of the airport. Making it past security took a whole twenty minutes before I got inside the clear grounds with a few planes standing still here and there.

I took a few circles around the quiet area while trying to look for King. Everything inside me silently hoped he wasn't already gone. I wouldn't be able to live with this all alone.

Where are you, King?

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr