Chapter 71

Chills ran down my spine as I heard the words leaving Bryce's mouth. I was shocked, to say the least as I hadn't expected him to actually confess in front of me.

"Why?" I felt my heart dropping low. "What did I ever do to you? What did Carol ever do to you?"

"Nothing—not yet." He shrugged before taking another puff of the cigarette. "I had to wait till you were eighteen, till you could actually shift. I knew all along who you were, where you came from and what happened to your parents." He continued.

I rolled my hands into fists and my body stiffened. "And you acted like you knew nothing." Gritting my teeth, I rolled my eyes and breathed out as things began making sense.

I had met with Bryce soon after my parents were killed. We began dating years ago, only months after I settled into this town. He forced me into everything that could ruin my life—drugs, and alcohol. He took away my concentration from everything else, including school. He wanted me to delve into his every habit and forget my old self.

And I did exactly that.

For years and years, I forgot everything and only harmed myself by taking substances, then hoping to cope with the loss of my parents.

"I had to act like that. My family, as you probably know now are hunters and just as I reached of age, I was given the task to get close to you and kill you once your wolf had taken shape." He rolled the bud between his fingers and continued talking. "Since your parents were werewolves, you were one as well but we all couldn't understand why you couldn't shift. It was unusual and I was asked to try and trigger your wolf side."

I raised my gaze to the sky as a lightning bolt struck it. The sound was loud, ear-splitting but I didn't feel afraid of it. There was a bigger monster sitting in front of me.

"And you tried to trigger my wolf side, didn't you?" I licked my lips and asked, "By cheating on me? Hoping the anger or the grief would force the wolf out of me?"

He chuckled loudly, "Yes. I thought you would turn all wild and animalistic at the cafe that day but no, nothing changed." He paused for a moment, shook his head as if he was disappointed. "Then, my family realized that a witch had spelled your werewolf, keeping it at bay and there was only one thing that could trigger."

I sighed. It was King that triggered my werewolf side and I already knew that.

"A bite from another werewolf." I replied.

"No," He shook his index finger in front of me. "A bite from your mate." Leaning back, he pressed his head against the wall and the smile over his face grew wider and wider while his lids dropped low. "Oh, the glory it was to learn that the immortal Alpha had been mated with someone!"

My nose flared and unable to hold in the anger anymore, I closed the umbrella and slammed the tip of against his shoulder, keeping Bryce down and at bay.

"What the fuck did you want from my family? Did your family kill mine?" I asked the questions I needed the answers to.

I didn't need to know Bryce had been dating me for years just to kill me the minute I turned. I didn't need to know that it was King's bite that had triggered my werewolf.

"Yes." He responded and not even a hint of shame appeared in his eyes.

"Why?" I raised my voice, wanting the answers.

"Your family was powerful, they had a witch and they had control. There are only certain werewolf families that have this kind of power. The code of hunters is not to kill everyone but only kill those that are stronger, intense, and in more control."

I pushed the the top of umbrella further into his shoulder, causing the pain to rise. Just another inch and it would split through his skin.

"Carol wasn't a werewolf. She was a nobody, she didn't have a werewolf and nor any strength." I argued.

"It was true that she wasn't but we couldn't know what she was. She came from a family of werewolves, she had to be something and we couldn't wait that long enough to find out if she was." Bryce replied to me. "I had to kill her." He smiled, once more, sinfully and only then the hatred burned deep within me.

"You did not have to kill her." I clenched my jaw.

"I'll have to kill you as well, baby."

I stared at him in disbelief, my eyes wide and anger brimming inside me. I could feel the rush in my veins, the need to kill. I hadn't ever felt that, not until now, not until I had found out the killer and his family. They had killed my parents and Bryce had killed Carol. I could never forgive them for that.

Suddenly, I felt a cold piece of metal pressed against my stomach. When I lowered my eyes, Bryce loaded the gun with the tip of his finger and pressed it back against me.

I took a sharp breath and moved just an inch back. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'll have to kill you." He repeated. "If you move another inch, I will put the bullets inside you. While your mate could survive the bullets, you cannot as you aren't that strong enough. You will die instantly and whoever you have standing outside will not have enough time to save you." He continued, his voice lowering with every word.

My heartbeat was fast and hard.

Did he know Arnold was outside?

I swallowed the bile growing in my throat and said, "How—how did you know?"

"I knew you would come for me, right here and right this time and I knew exactly who you would bring along. You don't trust your mate enough to let you do what you wish to do and you were dying to get answers." He cleared his throat and rose his head. "I'll give you your answers. Yes, my family killed your parents Barnsley and your mate's entire family here. I killed your Aunt and I had attacked you that night. The bullets were meant for you, not for your mate."

My gaze moved around the corners of the alley. I breathed hard and fast. I was terrified as there was a gun with laced bullets pressed against my stomach and I trusted Bryce when he told me that he would kill me.

"I know there is a man outside, waiting for you to return..." He trailed off.

"He will know if you shoot me."

"I know. I don't want to kill you right now," He stood up and his tall frame hovered over mine. He wasn't high or drunk—nothing. It was all an act. "Come with me." He traced the gun over my stomach and raised it higher till it was against my face.

I was a fool. I shouldn't have come here, I shouldn't have left the house but I wanted to know if it all was a lie.

"I don't wan—"

"You'll come with me, Eos, or I'll kill you here. By the time that man will come and save you, you will be dead." He stated.

I pressed my eyes shut as they began burning with the tears forming inside. "Okay," I mumbled under my breath.

He lowered the gun only by an inch before he went behind me. The gun remained at the back of my head as he directed me to take the path out from the alleyway. There were two paths, one from the wall and one from the way that I came in.

On the other end of the alley, Arnold was still waiting for me but he wasn't going to know that I was being taken away.

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr