Chapter 78

A week had passed by since the night of the storm and the night where I had been kidnapped by the Carson's.

"You're not eating anything. Is there something wrong?" King asked, leaning over the table as I sat idle on my seat, only imaging the worst that was yet to come. "I can ask the cook to make something else for you if you're not liking it." He continued.

I shook my head. "No. Thank you. It's fine, I don't feel like eating too much." I replied, shaking away my thoughts and placing the cutlery back on the table. I wiped my hands clean and then stood up.

"Alright. Do you want to go for a run?" He offered.

It was the weekend afternoon and I had nothing in my mind to do except to curl into a ball and sleep for several hours more.

"I'm not feeling...I'm sorry." I whispered under my breath.

Over the past week, I had been going through mixed feelings and guilt about lying to King. He still didn't know anything about what happened that night but he did manage to learn about the hunters. It was two nights ago when he had figured out about the Carson's and their abandoned house in the forest.

His men had visited the house and tore through everything in hopes to find the hunters but it was already too late as they had fled a week ago. No one knew where the Carson's went or where Bryce had disappeared to.

King was getting close to learning about the truth about Bryce and his intentions while he was dating me. He had asked me a bundle of questions about him, whether he had ever harmed me or not and much more.

Every step, I lied to him.

"Are you not feeling well, Eos?" He came behind me as I moved away from the kitchen.

"I'm okay..." I lowered my gaze and continued walking.

Before I knew it, his hand was grabbing me and his strength was overpowering the guilt and the shame growing within me. He pulled me to himself and I stopped on my steps.

"What's wrong? Have I done anything wrong?"

"No," I shook my head and looked into his piercing gaze. "Of course, not. I—I'm just feeling under the weather. I don't know." I was confused myself. I wasn't sure why I was not feeling alright even when things were okay.

King was getting close to figuring out where the Carson's were hiding and I was afraid of him learning about that night.

"Oh," He placed his hand against my face and traced his fingers lower to my cheeks while his eyes filled up with immense love and respect for me. It had been going well between us over the past week. He took care of me every way possible after Aunt Carol was killed and I couldn't be more than thankful. "I promise everything will be alright. It's not going to be long before we would get to the hunters and when we do, you will get your revenge."

Hearing those words forced me to rethink about the same night where I was close to getting my revenge.

A wave of dread filled up to my core and I breathed out. I had been lying for a long while now and I couldn't stretch it any longer.

"Would you kill them?" I asked after a minute of silence.

"Yes." King responded, and to my surprise, he didn't hesitate, not for a second. I took in a quick gasp as my heart skipped a beat.

"W—would you let me kill them?" I didn't know what exactly I had asked from it but it was the thought of it that was eating me up alive.

He cupped my face and shook his head, "No," A light rose in King's eyes. "I wouldn't let you stain your hands with anyone's blood, Eos. Never." His brows furrowed and his expression hardened as he continued, "A woman as precious as you wouldn't need to do any of that. I'm here to take care of all your troubles and there wouldn't be a single person that I wouldn't kill for you. You warm my veins. I would do anything for you."

"Oh." I found my own breath stolen away.

"Is there anything you want to tell me? I can tell something has been bothering you for a while." He spoke a moment later, asking me about the truth I had been hiding.

There were several reasons to why I was lying to him but one of them were no longer there.

"You have killed before." Another thought ran in my mind.

The pupils in his eyes grew and the color on his face vanished. Unease swooped in me and my heart began beating hard. I hadn't seen King harm anyone, not severely. I did see him beat Bryce with his strength but it wasn't fatal enough to actually kill him.

On the other hand, I knew about his wild wolf's hunger and when I had asked before if he had killed someone, he told me the truth. He had told me that on certain phases of the moon, his wolf would kill and to protect his own pack, he would kill.

"I have." He nodded.

I pressed my eyes shut and then opened them after a moment. Breath constricted down my throat as I began forming the words to tell King about the truth of that night.

"I had figured out that Bryce was one of the hunters because he had the mark of the hunters tattooed on his skin." I started. "It was a—a week ago and you were sleeping so I left you and went to find Arnold to tell him. I told him and Gabriella about Bryce and then left the house to find him."

"You went alone?"

"No, I went with Arnold. I don't know if this will make you furious but I fucked up things by seeing Bryce. He took me to the cabin in the forest and he shot my leg." My lips trembled as I spoke. The fear inside me grew ten times more. It was a traumatic night and repeating it was worse. "Before you say anything or get worried, I healed from the gun shot—I guess it had to do something with the healing energy I have inside me."

I could see the anger rushing into his veins and the color of his eyes changing with every word that was leaving my mouth.

"He did what?" King asked, his jaw clenched.

"I healed—from it—so it's okay. It wasn't fatal," I shook my head. "Bryce kept me in the cabin for a while. I met with the Carson's. They were trying to reach you. They wanted to kill you and they wanted to kill me. The only way they could kill you was by weakening or killing me, which they tried to do so." I quickly said, unable to hold in the words anymore.

I felt King's hand roll into fists as he moved them away from my body. I could feel the heat forming between us, the anger and the wrath of him. I could feel it all and I feared from it.

"Please. I'm sorry. I know I messed up—" Tears built in my eyes and my vision blurred. "I wish I didn't leave the house that night. I—I don't know what to say to you, King, except for that I made a mistake."

He growled and I stepped away from him.

Read the full book on my Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr