Chapter 61

It was a horrid scene. The glass was everywhere, tiny pieces glimmering and reflecting underneath the white kitchen lights. I squinted my eyes when I heard the first gunshot. It was loud, deafening than any thing I had ever heard. The strong winds gushed in, flying my hair all over.

I couldn't see anything but I could hear everything. The sound of the wind, my heart thudding, the appliances on the counters falling on the ground and another gun shot.

When I heard the second one, I screamed, louder than I had ever and flinched backwards to hit my stomach against a thick marble counter. Pain shot through my body. I feared if the bullet had hit me. I couldn't figure out where the pain was coming from.

King lunged toward me, I couldn't see him either but I could feel his body against mine, taking me down to the ground.

I sucked in a sharp breath and opened my eyes while a crawling silence rang in my ears. My first glance was at the blood pooling on the floor.

Who's was it?

Mine or his?

My attention turned toward King as he dropped his hand back on the ground while I was above him. His hands were wrapped around my waist, turning cold.

There were only two gunshots and then I heard the murderer flee from the backyard of the house. I didn't dare to raise myself up or see the killer, even though I wanted to.

"Yo—you're okay?" King choked out.

"Yes." I sighed and sank lower just as I realized the bullets hadn't entered my body. It missed me but that meant, it had gone into King. "Are you okay? Did you get shot?" I asked, terror ripping through my voice.

Tears burned my eyes. I moved myself off of him and allowed him to breathe. His blood soaked through my pants but since he was wearing a black shirt, I couldn't tell where he was bleeding from until his hand moved to the exact location of where he was shot.

"Oh..." I slapped a hand over my mouth. My mind reeled. "Oh, no." I clung onto his hand that rested above the wound, stopping himself from bleeding to death.

"It's fine. I'll heal." King uttered, wincing at the pain. When I examined his face, I could tell the bullet was burning within him. "I just—fuck." He cursed while turning his torso around and trying to lift himself off the ground.

He was shot—twice—taking both of the bullets that were meant for me. His torso was aching and underneath was his blood pooling. The second wound was at his leg, close to his knee.

He clamped his teeth and groaned in pain while I wrapped my arms around him, taking him off the floor before he could get anymore wounds. The glass from the window was spread all over, tiny sharp pieces waiting to pierce into his skin and mine.

We needed to get out of the kitchen.

The ringing still continued in my ears. I could still hear the echoes of the gun firing and the bullet seeping through the window. It was an awful voice and I just wanted to get rid of it.

Using the last bit of my strength, I helped King up from the ground. He limped over me as I carried him away from the kitchen.

"Take me to my room." He whispered, still in pain.

I listened to him and in the dark, I took the stairs up but with ever step, I feared someone was going to shoot again and this time it would be terrible. There was a large glass window at the stairs, showing the outside. The window was stretched till the roof and anyone could see from outside.

I feared the killer was still there, waiting to strike again.

With all the energy I had, I quickly took King upstairs without wasting another second. Reaching his room, I pulled him inside and he squeezed my waist, motioning me to stop once we had reached his bed. He moved himself over the bed while I stood near him, breathing hard, panicking and imaging what all had just happened.

I turned around and rushed over to the windows to shut them close. Just as I touched the glass, I realized it was thicker than the one downstairs. The glass inside this room was bulletproof, which was why King wanted to come here.

I switched on the lights and then returned back to him. His back was against the bed while he was still seizing onto his wound.

His face was worn-out from the agony and he breathed hard. Suddenly, he hissed in pain and pulled himself up. "It's covered in poison."

"The bullet?"

"Yes." He groaned, "I need to get it out. There must be a kit inside the closet."

I nodded and rushed into the closet that was near to one of the windows. Just as I got in, King's scent rushed into me and I felt a momentarily relief. His clothes, his everything had his scent and it was all in here.

I breathed out and repeated to myself that it was all okay.

No was dead.

It took a good minute to find the emergency kit that was tucked further deep inside his closet. When I found it, I grabbed it and returned outside to the bedroom where King's condition had worsened.

His eyes were deep red, which meant he had lost all his strength and he was using the strength of his wolf.

My eyes watered at his condition as I gave him the kit. I looked around the room to find any alcohol to clean the wound and found a couple of them inside the cabinets beside the closet.

He cleaned the wound with an entire bottle of alcohol and then proceeded to pull the bullet out of himself.

"Don't look." He whispered to me.

Tears fell on my cheeks and I closed my eyes. I couldn't bear to look at him as he pulled the bullet out of his torso. A few seconds passed and then a few more. I heard him groaning and breathing heavily in pain while clenching my hand that I had offered him earlier.

"Fuck." He growled before crashing back on the headboard.

I opened my eyes and found the bullet out of his torso. He placed it over the tissue paper and glanced at it closely.

"Is that it?" I asked.

"No," He shook his head. "There is another one."

And there was another one, in his leg. A poisonous bullet that could possibly kill him. It was the same bullet that had been used on my Aunt Carol to kill her and maybe my parents.

Since Aunt Carol wasn't a wolf, she got killed by the bullet itself than the poison that it was laced in.

"Call Arnold. I'll get the other one out." King said, leaning forward and reaching for his legs.

"Are you sure?"

He raised his head and nodded, "Yes. I promise, I'll be fine." He placed his hand on my face and reassured me.

I nearly sobbed my eyes out but held myself together. "I'll get the phone and come back." I said, getting off the bed and taking a few steps away from him.

What if something happened to him as I left? I was too scared to leave him alone but at the same time, I had to call Arnold and tell him to come here.

I stayed by the door of the bedroom for a few seconds, looking at King as he patched his wound on his torso before going to the other one. He was in terrible pain but he didn't show any of it to me.

He saved me and took the bullets that were meant for me.

My eyes watered and I turned around before leaving the bedroom and rushing downstairs to grab the phone. The house was silent as the night. The window in the kitchen was still shattered and the wind blew in along with the few leaves of the tree next to the house.

A thousand questions rang in my head.

Who did it? Who wanted to kill me?

Once I found the phone next to the shattered window, I picked it up and rushed back upstairs to King.

I couldn't lose him.

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr