Chapter 70

Rain poured heavily on the roads as Arnold drove around the town. I gave him the location five minutes earlier, before leaving the house. It wasn't too far, just in the suburbs, in a dark alleyway where junkies tend to rest and get high. I expected Bryce to be right there like every weekend.

Months had passed by since I had last seen him. The last time, he came over to my house and tried to harm me when King interrupted us both and beat him to pulp. I believed his threats were far more than enough to not let him come back to me.

The wipers moved aggressively on the front window, making it clear for Arnold to see.

I looked to my side, watching houses and stores pass by me. It was late at night, reaching midnight. I feared what King would do if he had woken up and not found me in the bed.

Gabriella promised to cover for me but I wasn't sure if she could do enough. I felt secure with Arnold, he had been around me for a while and I trusted him.

The chain hanging from the rearview mirror rattled in warning as the rain grew violent along with the weather. Just in a few minutes, a storm was heading to us.

I looked up at the sky and breathed heavily as my heart thundered. Reaching forward, I turned on the heater and switched it to the highest setting before I began quivering.

"Are we close?" Arnold asked, slowing down as we entered a familiar street in the town. The roads were wet with rainwater and barely any cars were visible.

"Take left and we will be there," I replied while watching my surroundings carefully.

The car moved on the road between the small buildings and just a meter away from the alley, I asked Arnold to park the car. He switched off the headlights and I rolled down the windows just a little bit to hear the sounds that were coming from the alleyway.

The junkies were there, chatty-chatting and not caring about the weather. I could hear them all.

"I should go alone." I whispered, turning my attention away from the voices and back to Arnold. If Bryce was there, between the junkies, he would flee the minute he would see a stranger along with the other people in the alleyway.

"I'll be right here if you need anything," He stated before leaning back and reaching for an umbrella at the corner of the car. He handed me the umbrella and a warning remained in his focused eyes. "I mean it. If you feel threatened, come out or call me."

"I will," I nodded before opening the car door and then opening the umbrella. It split up quickly and the rain poured straight on it. "Thank you, Arnold." I placed my legs outside before pushing the umbrella over my head and stepping out of the car at once.

Arnold reversed the car a little back more so no one could see if anyone was here. Random cars in the middle of the night were a threat for junkies and I didn't want to cause a scene here. I just wanted to talk to Bryce, to know the truth.

My boots soaked in the rain water as I paved my way to the alley. After walking for a minute, I found myself standing between two buildings. Neon light from one of the buildings flickered above me. Looking ahead, I found a group of teenagers smoking.

When they saw me, their heads rose and their swollen eyes widened. I could sense their dread, their fear of being caught and sent to jail for the night.

Looking away from the teenagers, I walked into the alley and past them. Their breaths of relief echoed in my ears while my heart raced. Mixed emotions coursed through me. A couple of months ago, I was here, in their positions, doing what they were doing—losing their lives.

Never again.

I sighed and walked further, reaching till the end of the alley where a wooden bricked wall was made. Just as I expected, I found him there, sitting alone, a cigarette in his hand and distraught in his eyes.

He raised his head and looked at me, "What are you doing here?"

I stood stiff in front of him, still holding the umbrella above me even though the rainwater couldn't come into the alleyway.

Was it him? Was he the one that had killed my Aunt? Was he the one that had attacked me?

I stared down at him, into his eyes where I found nothing except for evil. I chewed on my lip, growing nervous as the words began collecting at the back of my tongue. "It is you, isn't it?" I asked, holding my breath in as I had just claimed my ex-boyfriend to be a murderer, a killer.

He drew the cigarette between his lips and took in a puff. I stared at the paper burning and the smoke lifting from the other end. He took in the smoke and then blew it out moments later. The sickening scent made me want to gag but I held in the urge until later.

Bryce rose his head and I received his answer when the corner of his mouth curled into a stiff grin. "Surprised?"

My chest began aching. I didn't want to believe it as at first, it was just thoughts and my own thinking. I didn't want to believe that the first boy I ever dated had killed my own Aunt and was in the middle of all of this.

"Did you kill her?" My eyes burned and I stared at the bricked wall behind him.

"I did," He threw the cigarette on the ground and stomped it with his boots. "I watched her die in front of me as I shot those bullets in her. One wasn't enough. Though there was a part of me, for old times sake that wanted to let her live but I couldn't." He shrugged as his voice remained low.

We were far too deep into the alleyway so Arnold couldn't hear either of us even when he was just a minute away.

Tears began forming in my eyes as I remembered Carol. Disgust and wrath appeared on my face as I lowered my gaze and looked at Bryce. "Why did you kill her? What did you want from her?" I paused for a minute. "She wasn't a werewolf."

He grinned and threw his head back, "She wasn't. But you are, aren't you?"

"I didn't choose to become one!" I exclaimed. "I didn't want to. I didn't know anything about it and I never even thought something like that existed."

"But you are one." He mumbled.

"And you knew it, didn't you?" I cocked a brow at him and watched his grin disappear. "Was that the reason why you were ever dating me? To kill me?"

He chuckled and plucked out another cigarette from his box. "Yes, Eos. I only ever wanted to kill you."

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr