Chapter 23

It was a small bar in the town called Blue Bottle Inn. The place was packed yet unknown to many. The parking outside was dark, covered—a perfect spot for having car sex.

Who would have thought?

Not me.

"I used to drink a lot," I claimed, holding a drink in my hand. My favorite was anything that was strong and that would make me lose my senses. "It was a habit."

I didn't want to deny the fact I was an alcoholic since I was one. I was trying to get sober, I had control over my addiction and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

"Was?" King lowered his gaze to the drink I held.

I laughed, "This one is going to help me cope with my stress and it's for fun. I couldn't think of anything else that you would like doing."

"Oh, there are many things." He trailed off before sipping on his drink. His eyes stayed over mine, watching me carefully.

How could there be something unusual about him?

I inhaled the aroma of the place. It wasn't packed with teenagers but instead adults. The music was low, just as I wished. There was nothing loud or crazy happening down here.

I ran my tongue over my lips and asked, "Tell me. What do you like?"

"Many things..."

"As?"

"Well, for starters I certainly like you," he gave me a wide grin and I quickly recognized it as one of those grins bad boys give to young girls. "Apart from that, my hobbies are distinct. I love studying histories, traveling, nature and on the fun side, I love archery."

"Not golf?" I squealed out after the google search appeared in my head and the images of the golf clubs he owned.

He noticed my reaction and replied, "Not much. The facts on the internet aren't up to date."

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment and I looked away. I tried acting calm before bursting out the questions I had carried in my head for him. He wasn't aware I knew and I wasn't aware of what he knew.

After the first drink, I ordered another one and when reaching for it, King's eyes flickered to the glove I wore on my left hand.

"What happened there?" He questioned as his expression hardened. A deep red-brown appeared in his eyes when I looked at him for a second.

Quickly, I tucked my hand underneath the table and replied, "Nothing. Just cold."

"You aren't wearing a glove on the other one?"

Fuck.

"I forgot." Before reaching for the drink, I glanced at my right hand, finding it perfect with its newly manicured fingernails. Nothing had changed there but my left hand had turned into a monster and I couldn't let anyone see it until I had it in control.

King witnessed my discomfort and changed the subject. "I hope you're doing fine now."

"Yes. I just got a little sick. Nothing to worry about." I shook it off by taking another large gulp of the drink. The taste of berries and vodka roamed in my mouth before I swallowed it down my throat. "What have you been up to recently?" I asked him.

"Just work."

"I hope you don't plan on leaving anytime soon."

He smiled at me and shook his head, "Not anytime soon."

Something warm rose in my belly and tickled me. I folded my legs and smiled back at him while everything inside me melted in the process.

We engaged in chatter for most of the evening. Talking about everything except for what he was doing at the hospital and on the night I was bitten, why he was around me, and why among a hundred beautiful girls had he only been interested in me.