Chapter 76

I stared at their faces once more. They were unworthy of their lives, they had done wrong not just to me but to King's family as well. Killing them would give me the relief I had been looking for and it would bring King's mind at peace as well.

But was I killer? Could I be one?

"Eos," Arnold whispered, his voice soft. "Don't. Trust me." He came behind me in hopes to change my mind.

There was an unbearable silence that stretched for a long minute before I turned and handed my gun over to him. Arnold was right, I couldn't be a killer. I wasn't one. I didn't need to go low as them and become one. While my entire life had been stolen away from me, I couldn't think about taking another life.

My hand was pale as I parted it away from the gun. In those few seconds, I could hear the Carson's grabbing their opportunity and fleeing. As much I wanted to turn around and take my revenge, I couldn't. I wasn't that person and I didn't want to become that person.

Their footsteps faded into the night before I heard the engines start. In moments, the Carson's were gone, including Bryce as he had fled.

Never-ending silence surrounded me. Tears after tears dripped from my eyes and soaked my cheeks wet. My heart ached. It was filled with pain and misery that I couldn't stop feeling.

"Let me take you home." Arnold whispered, the only one that was standing here. He wrapped his hand around the gun and tucked it inside his pocket.

My throat tightened as if something had been growing in there, a large ball. My head grew hot and heavy as more tears spilled onto my face. I wiped my cheeks, drying them before I began walking with Arnold.

We walked for several minutes in the silence and every minute, I had mixed emotions on the decision I had made. One moment I was brimming with guilt for even thinking about killing someone and the other moment, I was filled with regret for letting them live.

I had the chance to avenge the death of my parents and Carol.

I let it go.

We got inside the car after walking for a mile. Arnold had parked the car on the side of the nearest road to the forest. He had previously shifted and sniffed me out to find where the Carson's had been keeping me.

The rain poured heavily onto the vehicle as we both got inside. The droplets of water slamming against the window were loud.

"When I didn't hear from you, I went into the alleyway and figured you he must've taken you," Arnold started while he stared ahead with his eyes wide open. "I could not break the promise I had made with Mr. King. I needed to find you."

I placed my hands deep inside the pockets of my jacket that he had offered me earlier before I got inside the car. My hands remained warm inside. I ran my tongue over my dry lips and whispered, "Don't tell him."

"I'll have to inform him. I had made a terrible mistake taking you there and if he learns by himself, he will punish me severely." He replied, fear in his tone in regards to King.

But it wasn't Arnold's fault. He simply came to help and protect me. I had dragged him into this mess.

"He won't learn and if he does, I'll make sure the blame won't come on you," I turned my head to him. "I'm sorry and thank you for saving me." I ran my hand over my face, brushing the wet tendrils away. "I wouldn't know what I would've have done if you weren't there, Arnold. I was close, too close to kill them."

"You're not a killer." He repeated the same words in the same steady, soft tone.

It bought me comfort knowing I wasn't one but I was close to becoming one. Was it bad that I had thought about it? All I could see was blood and revenge. I wanted to kill the Carson's.

I did.

"Where do you think they have ran off to?" I asked him while turning my head to the window.

Beyond my reflection, I saw the heavy rain and the dark night growing. The trees wavered with the strong winds and puddles began forming. Sounds of the wind whistling echoed through the night, terrifying me in the silence.

I wasn't sure how many hunters were living in the house but it was a large family. When they heard the threat, Arnold, approaching them, they fled as quickly as it was possible.

"Somewhere far away. I hope." He responded, staring ahead.

I swallowed the bile in my throat and turned to face him, "We should keep this between us. I'll talk to Gabriella, and she won't say anything. This night never happened." I stated. "King cannot know about this."

I couldn't imagine what King would think of me if he had known I was here and I was close to killing the Carson's. I didn't want him to think of me as a killer. We were just starting with our relationship and I didn't want to ruin it.

Arnold nodded and agreed before he started the engine and began driving away from the forest and back into the town. The rain continued to pour on the windows heavily. The wipers moved back and forth. The roads were filled with water and the cars that were parked were soaked.

We reached home in only a few minutes and when we did, I said my goodbyes to Arnold and headed upstairs to see King. It had been a few hours but I assumed he would still be in bed, sleeping as I imagined him to do so.

Water was dripping from my clothes as I made it up the stairs and close to King's bedroom. I tried to calm my racing heart down but my nerves twisted as I entered inside. The room was warm just as I had left it and King was still asleep, rolled onto the other side of the bed.

I quietly walked in and changed my clothes, ridding of the bloody and wet clothes I had been wearing through the night. Once I had changed, I tip-toed over to the side table beside the bed and grabbed King's phone off it.

My throat tightened when I found the messages the Carson's had dropped to him while they had me kidnapped. They were all unread and unopened.

I deleted as many calls and messages as I could before switching off the phone and putting it on the side. I was afraid of King catching me and figuring out that I was close to killing someone. I was afraid of his judgement and feared he wouldn't see me the same way if he knew the truth.

If it wasn't for Arnold interruption, I would have gladly killed the Carson's and then over-joyed their deaths for the rest of my life but I probably would've lost King in the process.

There was one thing good in my life.

It was him.

I slid underneath sheets quietly and wrapped my arm around King. My eyes burned and the tears started again. I placed my head against his chest and took an inhale.

Did I mess up? Did I let the Carson's loose? Were they going to attack again? Should I have killed them? Here were the questions I didn't have the answers to.

All I could do was wait.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr