Chapter 73

I laid in my own pool of blood, whimpering and groaning at the pain as it rose every time I made a movement. It was never-ending. I could feel the bullet slicing through my flesh and bones, moving and causing immense pain.

Bryce's mother, Mrs. Carson had dragged me off her white porch and dumped me over into one of the room inside the house. It was pitch dark except for the one window in the top right corner that lightened up the room. I could see the sky from the inside, the backyard lights and the time fleeing from my hands.

It had been a while now.

I wasn't sure what the Carson's were going to do with me. They were hanging on me like a piece of meat to attract the actual predator, King, who must've been still sleeping but it wasn't going to be a long while before he would figure out everything and wake up. I dreaded him at this point. It was stupid to leave the house with informing him.

With heavy breaths, I placed my back against the wall and pulled my leg straight. Sweat beaded on my face, dripping down to my neck and back while my chest ached.

I leaned over to my leg and ripped out the part of my pants that had been soaked in my blood. My eyes wandered over the wound, noticing how deep the bullet had gotten and the infection spreading around it.

Was it going to kill me?

My eyes watered as I imagined death in hands of the same people that had murdered my entire family. I would've done nothing if I was killed by this poisonous bullet.

I rose my head, carefully listening to the voices around me. In the beginning, there were quite a few people curious to know if Bryce had captured me. He roamed around the house, cheer in his voice while announcing what he had done.

Was that all? Was I just a game for him?

I shook my head and returned my attention back to my leg. For a moment, I killed my sobs and cries for help as it wasn't helping me in anyway. I had begged for Mrs. Carson to heal me but she didn't care. She wanted me dead just as much as everyone else around here did.

What had I even done?

I ran my finger over the open wound and the it stung deep inside my skin. Could I heal from this? I wondered. It had been more than an hour and I was still alive.

I remembered King's words and his actions, he was quick to remove the bullets from himself as he feared getting any infection and weakening from it. He had told me that if anyone else were to get shot, they would die instantly from the bullet, including myself.

I was still alive.

I bit the inside of my mouth while thinking of all the possibilities to how I was still alive. Did that mean I wasn't as weak as I thought I was? Of course. I had healed so quickly after the accident. I could heal from this as well. I just needed some time and forceps to remove the bullet.

Clinging onto hope, I looked around the room for something metallic to remove the bullet from my leg. After seconds of wandering around, I found nothing and stumbled back into the corner, against the wall.

Groaning, I closed my eyes and rolled my fists while waiting for the pain to subside. My leg twitched and I leaned forward once more. Fingers ran over the skin around the wound. It had flushed into a veiny blue and black color that seemed to be infected.

Without giving much of thought, I stretched my hand further and pressed my eyes tightly before removing the bullet myself. It ached terribly as if I had been stung by a bee over and over again.

I turned my head around, facing the wall while reaching further into the open wound. I knew what I was doing but I also knew that I was going to heal along with the flesh around my leg bone. Removing the bullet myself wasn't going to be fatal but keeping it in for any longer was surely going to be.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I took out the little bullet and threw it across the room. My hands, covered in my own blood, quivered as I placed them over my lap and rested against the wall.

My heart continued to thud loudly as I waited for my body to heal. I wasn't entirely sure if I would heal from the infection or not but I hoped I would.

Minutes passed and suddenly, the pain lessoned.

I leaned forward to glance at the wound but the door to the room flung open and I quickly pulled my leg back and placed it underneath the other one, hoping I wouldn't get caught.

Neither of them, the Carson's, expected for me to remove the bullet. They hoped in a few hours the infection would spread all over my limbs and in pain, my wolf would surrender and I would die.

I had thought that as well.

My heart skipped a beat when I found Mrs. Carson's shadow at the door. She held onto a couple of keys in her fingers while walking inside the basement. It was low-ceiling basement, barely anyone tall could fit inside without slamming their head against the roof.

"How's my favorite prisoner doing?" She asked, taking large steps toward me.

I didn't reply.

"Well, we tried reaching your mate but it has been unfortunate as no one has been receiving our calls. I suppose we just have to wait till tomorrow morning—or maybe till you die." She continued, standing tall over me.

I looked down at the floor, finding it much more entertaining than looking at a killer. They were all killers, each and every one of them. They had my Aunt Carol killed and they had my parents killed as well.

"Don't you have to keep me alive? King isn't going to come here if he knows that I'm dead." I raised my head and made a point.

"Oh, he'll come any way. Don't worry about that. Have a good night sleep." She chuckled and began walking toward the door. "And don't try to escape. There is no way out from here. You'll be soon dead, you can whisper you last words to yourself." She continued before grabbing the door along with her.

Right before she could leave, I asked her, "Did you kill my parents?"

She froze on her steps and paused. Her dark eyes glowered and her smile widened, "I did."

"Why?"

"They were too strong. No one should be able to have that much strength, not you nor King Emerson." She whispered from afar.

"So what? They were people, they were my parents, they were my family!" I exclaimed, my eyes tearing up once more as a throbbing rose in my chest.

"They were nothing. I enjoyed hunting them down and killing them. For months, I traced their steps, followed them everywhere and just at the perfect time, I asked my husband to kill them."

The men.

One of the men that had killed my parents was Mr. Carson, Bryce's father, the man I had met several times not knowing he was the murderer I had been looking for all along.

A moment later, she slammed the door close and left. I chewed on my lower lip while waiting for her footsteps to fade.

It was true. The Carson's had killed my family. My blood boiled as I thought about it all. I knew my parents had done nothing wrong, they were good people, they didn't deserve to be killed.

King was still asleep. He didn't know anything about my whereabouts which meant he wasn't going to be in danger anytime soon.

They, the Carson's, wanted to kill him in any way possible. They wanted to kill me as well and while I still didn't understand the reasoning behind it, I just went along with it and assumed that I might be strong in a way that would threaten them.

They feared their own lives.

A few more minutes passed before I pulled my leg out and stretched it across the floor. Gasping in surprise, I leaned forward and ran my hand over the wound that had closed, completely.

What?

My eyes widened and I carefully looked closer. This was impossible. It couldn't have healed that quick.

No.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr