Chapter 82

The farmhouse was up north, a long drive away from the town. The roads were bumpy and the maps were unclear to the location yet I found my way through. I wasn't exactly sure which way King had gone or where I found him but I knew it was probably somewhere around the farmhouse.

The sky was dark and there were barely any cars on the road. I kept on driving slowly while keeping my eyes wide open and remembering the last time when Beatrice and I had crushed a werewolf.

I remembered every word the lady from the church had told. She told me that they were going to come for me. I was curious if the Carsons had once resided in Barnsley previously as they had been the ones who killed my parents. The Carsons were a rich family. While dating Bryce, I did have a couple of fancy dinners and attended a few family parties but soon got bored of them.

Then, when Bryce's parents realized their son was getting high day and night, they cut off his accounts and abandoned him. He had whined me a couple of times about that but now thinking about it, it probably was a front.

I glanced toward the golden lights appearing out of nowhere. It was the farmhouse, Carson's third residence. It was a mystery how they got money but I supposed it had to do with killing werewolves and hunting them. I parked the car a long distance away from the farmhouse and killed the engine while rolling down the windows.

Listening to the nature sounds, I heard nothing but crickets chirping and bees buzzing around. To my left, where the farmhouse was, I could see five cars parked out and someone on the porch.

Looking closer, I realized it was a figure of one of the Carsons. A male, at least six feet, paced around the porch, his phone in his hand and the light illuminating his face. It had been a while since King had left, I had assumed he must've killed all of them by now but I was wrong.

I stepped out of the car and buttoned my sweater while walking carefully. The farmhouse was surrounded by trees and bushes. Beyond it was an empty land and beside it was the road that I had driven from.

I tucked my hands inside my sweater and continued walking for another minute until my gut instinct forced me to stop. Looking down, I stared at the ill-formed metal piece of the ground. I grabbed my phone almost immediately and switched on the torch.

Bending over, I grazed my fingers over the rusting trap that was chained to the ground. The trap had sharp, triangle-like splinters poking from every direction and it was big enough to capture a werewolf.

"Fuck." I whispered to myself before raising the torchlight to study the rest of the area.

The entire grounds surrounding the farmhouse were filled with traps and not only pieces of metal or iron but I could smell the monkshood everywhere as if it had been growing here for decades. I rose up and paced around while ensuring I wasn't stepping into a trap. After walking for a long minute, I found a field of the plant—monkshood, and it stretched for miles.

The Carsons were preparing for this. They had a great quantity of monkshood, the only thing that could suppress the werewolf side for a short period of time—enough to kill them.

Did King know about this? Where was he?

I kept track of where I had been heading too. The farmhouse still could be seen from far away and the car I parked was just a few meters away from me. I switched off the flash from my phone and walked away from the field of monkshood.

Was King hurt?

The negative thoughts began running in my head once more. He didn't have his phone with him, therefore there couldn't be any contact.