Chapter 52

Chapter 52

It was bugging me since the moment I landed in Hildon, the city. There were a thousand questions in my head about my parents. I had never thought about their deaths this deep and hard.

After my parents were killed, the next-door neighbor called the police and once they covered the scene, they took me to the police station where I stayed in their custody for a night before Aunt Carol picked me up and drove me to Frostford.

It was the quietest ride of my life.

As I was a young teenager, I couldn't understand what had happened but after spending a few days with my Aunt, I realized my parents were killed and they were never coming back.

My things, my school work, my belongings, my parents and everything that I had since childhood was left, abandoned in my old home.

I never attended their funeral but it took place in a small church before they were buried. As far as my knowledge took me, a few of my parents friend's came along and attended the funeral before burying them in the local cemetery, only a few kilometers away from where they were killed.

A case was opened to find the men who had murdered them but even after seven years, nothing came out of it. I was simply warned by everyone to stay away from my hometown incase they'd come for me and kill me as well.

I never wondered once who they were or what they wanted. It was something I couldn't simply think about. I remained confused for years and depressed as it took a lot of time to heal from finding my parent's dead bodies in front of me.

The image still continued to haunt me, day and night.

Around those days was also the last time I spoke to Beatrice on call, telling her and her parents that I had moved away and wouldn't be returning anytime soon. Everyone knew about the tragedy that occurred in my home, condolences were sent, calls were made and then, it was all gone.

Everyone forgot.

Except for me.

"Do you want to go on a trip with me?" I questioned Beatrice who hung on the bed beside me, staring up at the ceiling just as I did. Her assignment was canceled, she was bored than ever and I just had the perfect thing to do with her.

"Where? Maldives?" She rolled around, her eyes glimmered with excitement.

"No. Barnsley."

"What?" She sounded baffled. "Why?"

"I'm—I don't know—I just feel like I want to go there, go to my home and get a few questions answered. It has been a very long time and I thought about this many times but I never had the courage to do it." I explained while chewing on my left index fingernail. My nerves were jumbling up by even thinking about. I was afraid but I had to face the reality someday and I couldn't find a better time than now.

"But isn't it dangerous for you? Aren't you scared?"

She was more terrified about me than I was for myself.

"I am." I mumbled and took in a heavy breath. "Of course, I am, Beatrice." My heart pounded in my chest.

"Then why?"

"It's been a long time. I'm just curious." I shrugged, not knowing what else explanation to give. There wasn't an exact one to begin with.

I turned my head around, staring at Beatrice. Her face glistened with worry as frown lines appeared near her mouth.

"It's just going to be a few days. I won't even tell Aunt Carol about it and hopefully, everything goes right." I said, hoping it would calm her down.

"But what if something terrible happens? It's been a long time..."