Chapter 62

By the time I returned to the bedroom, I found that King had removed the other bullet from his leg. Now, all was left was for him to heal and for the wounds to close up. When I found him, I couldn't help but wrap myself around him while sitting on the edge of the bed.

He wrapped his arms around mine, not too tightly, and held me close to himself.

"Are you okay?" He asked, rubbing my back. His eyes had changed colors which meant he had begun to heal.

"Yes." I nodded before rubbing my cheeks and wiping away the tears. "I'm just scared. I—I don't know what to think." I was shaking in the fear of the unknown. I was terrified and I was nearing to ball my eyes out.

"Don't be scared," He placed his hand around my arm and whispered, "I'm here for you and I promise you, I will not let anyone harm you."

"But you—you got hurt." I stammered.

"But I can heal, Eos." He cupped my face and gave me reassurance. "I can always heal for you and there is nothing that can harm me entirely so don't worry about me."

Warm tears fell over his hands and he brushed them away from my face. I leaned closer to him and he placed a kiss on my cheek. I smiled a little and rested beside him as he called Arnold and asked him about his whereabouts.

The call lasted only for a couple of seconds before Arnold was on his way here. In the meantime, I begged King to call a doctor as well so they could stitch up the wounds. He was stern on healing by himself, with the power of his wolf but after the constant begging, he finally placed a call to a local doctor he knew and asked for him to drop by the house.

I cleaned up the bed for him and changed the bloodied sheets while he tried to limp around the room and gain his strength back.

We didn't leave the room until after Arnold arrived at the house. He came straight upstairs into the bedroom, to us, with worry flushed all over his face. It was somewhat unbelievable that someone would attack us in the house that inside a secured community.

The word hadn't gotten out yet. I didn't tell anyone and neither did King. I was still trying to recover from the trauma I had gone through over the past few days.

The death of my Aunt and the near-death of my mate.

I was shocked and my head was blocked.

"There is security on every inch of the house. Everywhere. No one is going to get anywhere near here. Is there something else I can do for you?" Arnold asked King while he sat back on the bed. His eyes wandered over him and he continued, "Should I call a doctor?"

"No, I've already done that. Dr. Fred should be on his way." King responded, forcing out a deep breath. He was still hurting even though the bullets were out of him. "Go the kitchen. Find anything you can. I want to know who did this and I want to know it soon, Arnold." He spoke in a rough tone, anguish in his voice.

"Yes, Alpha." Arnold nodded and left the room.

Guilt twisted in my stomach and my gaze flicked away from King. He was in this terrible condition because of me. I had managed to harm everyone I had loved over the past few days.

Beatrice was hurt because of me.

Aunt Carol was dead.

And King was shot—twice as he tried to save my life.

"You need to get some sleep." His voice snapped me back to reality and the horrifying thoughts went away for the moment.

"No." I sat back. "I can't sleep."

"You haven't slept in days, Eos." He took my hand and pressed it tight. "Everything is going to be fine. Trust me."

"I do." I leaned over his shoulder and rested there in silence.