Chapter 65

I started the car and the engine roared loudly. The sudden voice forced a shiver out of me. Since I didn't have a car with me, King let me borrow one of his cars and it was one of the loudest ones I had ever driven.

I bit the inside of my cheek the entire time driving the car as I was too afraid of hitting it. It was a new car and I wasn't used to driving it. The most I had ever driven around was when Aunt Carol used to give me her car so I could go to high school. It didn't last long as I preferred busses and walking barefoot rather than driving a car.

Today morning, I had no energy for walking or waiting and King persisted I drove one of his cars as there was a tracker within the vehicle that would inform him about my whereabouts if anything were to happen.

I dreaded any loud, sudden sounds. Anything uncertain and suspicious forced me to turn my head around and look if there was any danger lurking around me. The events from yesterday left another wound in my mind that I wasn't going to heal from any time soon.

"How are you?!" Beatrice asked as she opened the door of her hotel room for me. She was now living in a hotel with her parents. They were going to stay for a while longer before leaving the town and returning to their homes.

I just wanted to say my goodbyes.

"Better. Can I come in?"

"Of course!" She struck her hand against my arm and forced a confusing expression over her face before opening the door wider and letting me in.

"How are you feeling? I hope you're better. You seem better!" I said, my tone soft and quiet.

Beatrice was standing straight on her legs, she didn't seem to have any discomfort while walking but she walked slowly across the hotel room, careful enough to not cause any more damage.

"I'm okay. Mom took me to the hospital in the morning and they checked everything. I have to get a few stitches removed by the end of the week but asides from that, I'm feeling well!" She explained, cheer in her voice.

I gave her a nod and sat down on one of the comfortable couches in the hotel room. She took a seat beside me and took her time to get down on the couch. The discomfort became clear in her face when she crouched as she winced in pain.

I gasped and lengthened my hands quickly to offer her support but she shook her head and smacked them away.

"I'll handle me," She stated. Once she sat down comfortably, she continued, "How are you doing? I wanted to see you after the funeral but you weren't there. I'm so sorry, Eos." She held my hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

"Yes, I left to get some things from my home." I slowed down a bit as I remembered the house, my Aunt's house. She lived in it since was twenty-three years old.

I called it my home as well.

But now...I didn't know.

"Oh. But how are you doing now? I know it's been just a day but I want you to know that I'm here for you, for anything. You need someone to cry with, I'll cry with you, you need someone to share memories, I'll listen. Anything." Beatrice offered with a murky smile.

"Thank you. I am—so far—I am doing okay. The funeral was hard but—" I tried to come up with words but it seemed like there was nothing left to say, just tears that needed to flee from my eyes.

"Hey, it's okay." She rubbed my hand. "You don't have to explain to anyone. I know you loved your Aunt, dearly and I know she loved you as well. She's in a better place now and she would want you to be happy."