Chapter 42

42

I rolled on the bed with a smile over my face and my body sore. My hair spread on the mattress while I hummed to the slow violin playing in the background. The silk sheets covered my bits but there wasn't much to hide. The Carrice manor was empty, there wasn't a single soul living here except for King and me. We were the only people in here and while it was a little odd, I didn't question it.

The sound of the water dropping echoed across the house. King was taking a shower inside the bathroom while I was resting on the bed. He had invited me in but I rejected him and returned to the bed.

I was too sore to go in for another round.

The throbbing in my pussy lasted for longer than I had expected. It was wild—King was wild.

The happiness in my heart only lasted for a few minutes. When alone, the negative thoughts gushed into my head and overtook me. I wanted to know everything but at the same time I was afraid—of asking.

What if King didn't want to tell me?

The smile faded from my face. My lips lined straight as I stared at the ceiling, watching the little curved lines, and counting them till King returned from the bathroom.

He stepped into the room with a towel wrapped around his perfect torso. His bits were hidden underneath. Something inside me jumped up straight upon seeing him. Water dribbled down the few locks of hair that hung over his face perfectly. His cheekbones were sharper, and his lashes were water with the shower he had taken.

I pulled the sheet closer to my chest before sitting up straight. He grabbed another towel from the table and ran the dry one across his wet hair before taking a few steps toward me.

Noticing the change in my mood, he placed his cold hand against my face and leaned while asking, "Are you okay? Do you need anything? I can get you some food if you're hungry." His voice was full of concern.

He did care for me, and I didn't question that, but I questioned the other things he did or had done.

I stayed silent for a second while my eyes slipped close, and my cheek rubbed off against his palm. "No, no, I don't need anything." I whispered back.

Baby steps.

"But are you okay?" He asked again, this time bringing himself on the bed beside me while he was still wet and soaked from the shower.

"Yes." I nodded but my voice was packed with a lie.

"Don't lie to me." He caught me right when I expected him to.

I wrapped my hand around his wrist before bringing it down and taking it farther away from my cheek. "I—" My voice became low and hoarse. The thoughts and questions rushed into my head. "There are so many things, King, that I don't know about, and I want to know everything about you, or I can't do this." I gave my head a shake while my heart thundered in my chest. "I can't do this without learning who you are or what you've turned me into." I said, taking a breath, one I should have taken before saying all that was buried in my heart.

I felt a twitch deep inside me, as if I had done something wrong—as if I had rejected him but I didn't. I didn't want this to be over. I liked King but I wanted to know everything before going further into a relationship with him.

His eyes drooped low, guilt rushing into them, taking its place once more. "What do you want to know?" He asked, returning his eyes to me.

My body moved with a slight tension. I swallowed hard before nervously twirling my fingers together and giving his question a thought. What did I want to know? Everything. But what if King was among the bad ones? What was I going to do then? What if he had done something terrible?

"Everything I need to know..." I trailed off, staring into his gaze.

"My family," He stared, a hitch in his voice but the rest came out easily. "My entire family was attacked a few years ago, during when the town was being cleared of the residents. A battle broke down, right here and my family was killed during it. There were many other casualties, including some of those people I was close to. It was tragedy and it was the last time I ever stayed here." He said, quickly, hoping to be finished with it soon.

I held my breath back until he finished. "Oh..." My heart clenched. This was terrible. "I'm sorry."

"It was a long time ago. I barely grieve for them anymore."

"What happened?" I asked.

The silence dragged between us for a minute until he responded several seconds later, informing me of the attack and the tragedy that took place all those years ago.

"My family was among the strongest families known to our world—the werewolves. We were the supposed royals, gifted with strength no one else had and power no one could get." A strong line appeared on his forehead in stress. He lowered his eyes back onto my fingers and continued, "Therefore, we were always under the attack. My family founded the town, my father was an Alpha, the leader. He led a pack of werewolves, and the pack grew stronger and bigger every year that passed by under his ruling. He formed the rule for our world, he ruled our world until he was killed. After his passing, everything was scattered. I had to leave and start somewhere else. I had contacts in the city and that's where I started after mourning the death of my family."

All along we had thought that his family had went under the ground for something they had done. No one had assumed that they were killed.

"What is an Alpha?" I questioned, my brows furrowed in confusion. The term had come up to me several times, but I couldn't get it exactly. It continued to confuse me every time I heard it.

"An Alpha is the leader of the pack. A group of wolves surrender themselves to the one higher in ranking and power. The Alpha, as a leader, maintains the pack, protects his people and manages everything wrong in our world and in return, the wolves submit and protect him as they are able to do so."

Wait.

After taking the knowledge in, I lined my lips straight and remembered the moment at the hospital where the doctor had called King and instead of taking his name, he said, Alpha.

"You're the Alpha now?" I asked, unsure.

He nodded, "Yes."

"You rule this pack? This town?"

"Yes."

I took in a sharp breath and turned my head sideways. "But the mayor?"

"Harden sits under me, as the Beta of the pack—the second one in line. He does everything on my behalf." King responded.

Oh no.

"But that day was the first time I had ever seen you in town—so did many other people." I cocked my brow, still confused, and slightly stunned. There were so many things I had thought wrong, and it was reaching to me.

"I never wished to return on the same grounds where my family was murdered. I had a great life at the city and Harden was able to manage everything for me. But after seven years of being away, I had to return, for once, to seek my mate, to find her, to find you." His voice was downright warm and when his hand rested over mine, I felt my heart flutter.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr