Chapter 21

Aunt Carol didn't talk more. She switched on the TV and from talking about mythical creatures, we flipped on watching a documentary about the pyramids.

I thought I could change my thoughts for a minute but I failed. While watching the documentary, I chewed on my nails and continued thinking about what my Aunt had just said.

It wasn't enough.

I wanted to know more, so much more.

Most of my life, I spent getting high or drunk at some shady part of the town, waking up with no memory of what I had done or where I had been.

It was awful.

Before my parents were murdered, I was a child, unable to have memories or do anything and after they passed away, I turned back to the child I was, not caring about growing up.

It had been a while, a minute since I parted my way from my ex-boyfriend who had been the main focus of my life till recently. Ever since slipping out of the relationship, I had begun seeing things, noticing people, and growing.

"You seem tired. You should head upstairs and get some sleep. Those medicines must've been working on you." Carol said, pressing on the mute button for a minute.

Arching my back, I laid my head over the couch and breathed heavily. The questions were getting louder in my head, clanking with my every thought.

Alphas.

'Their leaders, Alphas.'

Carol's exact words repeated and it took me to the moment where the doctor was speaking to King Emerson inside the same hospital I was admitted into.

There had to be a connection.

"What did you mean by they could shift?" I questioned Carol after giving her a minute of long silence.

She turned her attention from the TV and her wide eyes ran through me. "Ah, you're still there, Eos." Her hand flew in the air and her lashes fluttered as she tried to ignore the question I had asked. "It's just myth, baby, nothing more."

"No, I'm just curious." I learned forward, my kneecaps met with each other and I continued, "It's interesting—wolves and humans being in the same form. I have never heard or even read anything about it." I tried to act calm and collected even when I was trembling from within.

Things were rounding.

Making sense.

"Well, there are many things we don't know about. But at the end of the day, it's all a myth, a story, a fiction made up by a lot of people who are now dead." Aunt Carol responded, as interested as I was. "I lived here my whole life and this town has a dark history—from its founding till the town evacuation took place."

"What happened before that?" I blinked.

Carol shrugged, still holding the remote to the TV in her hands. "Living here was odd before it. There was a lot of violence and rumors but after the evacuation, something changed and now, it's blossoming more than ever." Her lips curled into a smile and she cozied up to the cushion beside her.

I mentally noted everything in my head, every word that came out of Aunt Carol's mouth.

A few moments after, she resumed watching the documentary while I pulled the laptop to my lap and ran King Emerson through the search.

My brows tightened when numerous pages and articles on him appeared in front of me. I glanced at Carol once more, she was sitting far away from me this time and her entire focus was on the TV.