Chapter 66

The awakening of the werewolves.

It made absolutely no sense to me at first until Arnold explained to me what it meant.

"Werewolves don't kill humans nor do they create any chaos in the world. They live in solidarity and peace. Pack wolves often go on with their lives, hiding their secrets and merging with the humans. They have no duties or obligations to fulfill until or unless it's required to do so." He explained while driving the car and taking me farther away from the town's center. "It's a code of silence. There is no sound made unless we under attack, by hunters or by other packs—which barely ever happens."

"So the silence is broken?" I asked while biting my lip.

"Yes. The silence is broken. Pack wolves submit to their Alpha but that submission is only required when it's demanded. For years, we had been in peace, until last night. Therefore, as the moon passes by today, the werewolves of this pack will be awakened and commanded to look out for one and another, to hunt down the hunter and to end the problem." He further continued, quickly but it was enough for me to understand what he was trying to mean.

I puckered my lip out from between my leg and stopped biting it for a minute. "So, what's the ceremony—like, what is it?"

"The Alpha calls for his wolves, and restores the pack as one till the chaos comes to an end." He responded.

I remained silent for the rest of the drive. Arnold drove into unknown territory, farther away from the town and just past the natural reserve. The last time I had driven this far was when King took me on a date, it was a near lake before I found out what he turned me into.

I suppose we were heading there again. It must've been a family ground or something along those lines.

I grew curious second by second, eyes wide open and my finger in my mouth, teeth chewing on my nail as my heart raced. What was going to happen?

There was a single narrow road into the woods that Arnold drove on. The woods were usually used for bonfires, junkies to get high in, and illegal teenage parties but there wasn't a sight of anyone tonight. Right at the entrance of the road, there was a closure sign that Arnold moved by himself before entering.

It was a waxing crescent today and the moon was barely visible with the clouds moving across the dark, midnight sky.

Suddenly, a lot of parked cars appeared at one side of the woods. Arnold pulled the brakes and headed to the direction where the cars were parked.

It was near the lake.

As I rolled down the window, I heard the water gushing down from the waterfall and people talking—a lot of them.

When Arnold switched off the engine, I stepped and shivered in cold. It was freezing out here. My every breath was cold and shaky. I buttoned up my coat and glanced at my surroundings.

"Stay close." Arnold whispered.

I followed him between the parked cars and we walked for a good couple of minutes before I began quiet chatters rang in my ears. I studied the area, finding groups and groups of men circling around. Barely any female could be seen.

It was all men.

Arnold took another path, away from the crowd and he guided me up a hill before I found him.

He stood underneath the moonlight, his face glowering, free from any pain compared to last night. When he turned his head to me, I gave him a quick smile and his dark eyes twinkled as they belonged with the sky.