Chapter 74

It was unbelievable that I had healed so quick. The infection around the wound was healing as well and it just had been only a few minutes since I removed the bullet. My lips curled into a smile and I nearly jumped out of joy.

I was healing.

It was just going to be a while more before I could get back on my feet and tear through the entire house, killing everyone and then going back home to King.

Everything was under control.

I wrapped a torn piece of cloth around my legs and rested back against the wall, listening to the light thunder echoing in the sky behind me. My eyes pressed close and I took in a long breath while holding myself together.

There was nothing I needed to be afraid of.

Mrs. Carson was right—I was strong, I had the capability to heal in seconds and that was a power no one had. The car accident earlier could've killed me but it didn't. I healed from it quicker than anything else. Beatrice was in the car with me and she barely could walk around without crutches or help.

On the other hand, I had healed in barely a night and I was even able to mate with King after the entire accident.

My shoulders stiffened and my ears perked as I began hearing a pair of footsteps approaching the door to the basement. Was Mrs. Carson back again? I quickly slipped my leg underneath the other one, hiding the fact that I had healed. I needed for them to know that I was still in pain and weak.

The door to the basement opened and just at the same time, thunder clashed in the sky.

"What do you want? Are you here to gloat?" I asked Bryce as he walked inside the room.

"No. I just came to ask if you needed anything." He spoke with remorse in his voice and I scoffed at it. He couldn't feel any remorse for me after he had shot me with his bare hands.

I wasn't going to forgive him for any of the things he had done.

"I need to get the fuck out of here and—oh, I need my Aunt back that you fucking brutally murdered for nothing." I snapped at him and my blood ran hot. I could feel fury rushing into my veins after the pain had subsided.

"I had to."

"Fuck you, Bryce." I cursed at him.

He had the choice to not murder my Aunt but he didn't care. He gladly put the bullets inside of her and inside of me. I no longer felt anything for him. He was a killer and nothing more.

I only dated a killer once.

"What are you waiting for? My death?" I asked him while pressing my hand down over my thigh and acting as if I was still in pain.

"No. We are just waiting for your mate to receive our calls." He replied, crouching down on his feet next to me.

I scurried away from him and kept my distance. "You can't kill King," I told him the truth. "He is not going to get affected by any of your bullets." I had seen him, nothing made a difference on him.

"You don't have to worry about that."

"Do you think people are not going to come after you if you kill King? Have you forgotten who is he? Even if you manage to kill him, there will be thousands you'll have to deal with." I asked him and found him speechless.

It was true.

The Carson's couldn't kill King to begin with and even if they managed to do it, everyone would be behind them, not just werewolves but also humans. They wouldn't let them live.

"I know—we know." He shook his head and stood back up on his feet. From the corner of my eyes, I saw something twinkle underneath the moonlight. It was a gun buried deep inside his back pocket. The same gun he had used to shoot me with.

Something clicked in my head and I looked back at Bryce.

"Was this all planned?" I asked him.

"Yes." He nodded, unfazed.

"From the beginning?"

He chuckled and stood over me, "You're getting smart, Eos." Turning around, he paced around the basement in circles and continued, "Our main target was King Emerson, not you. Once we had learned from our witch that you were his mate, I had to break up with you so you could become his and at the same time, I had to trigger your wolf in order for you to actually shift."

My mind began tripping at his words while the pieces of puzzle began sorting itself out.

"Just at the right time, King Emerson arrived into town, seeking for his mate and found you. You shifted. Fireworks happened and we waited for the bond to be completed as a man such as King Emerson can be only killed if his other half has been weakened or dead." He paused, clicking his eyes to mine. "For decades, my family has been trying to kill the last of the Emerson, the only man that had survived their bullets and their wrath."

"So it doesn't matter if I'm alive or dead?" I blinked at him.

He leaned over me and shook his head, "It doesn't. You're injured. You'll die and once you do, King Emerson will be weak enough to be killed. It's like—killing two birds with one stone."

I stared into his eyes for long, seeking for the human I once loved and had been dating for years. I couldn't see that person anymore, just a power-hungry guy who was following his family's footsteps.

Cold air filled my lungs before lurched forward and grabbed onto the gun from the back of his pants. Bryce, surprised, tried to push me back down but failed instantly as I had already healed and the wound in my leg was nearly gone.

Horror filled his face as I shoved him to the ground and stood up on my legs. The gun remained wrapped around my fingers, the barrel pointed toward Bryce.

"I'm not going to die and neither is the man I love. On the other hand, I can't say much about you and your family." I said to him in loud, clear words. "Your family killed mine. You killed my Aunt and now you're going to suffer as I kill every last one of yours, beginning with your mother. What was it again? Killing two birds with one stone."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr