Chapter 9: Midnight Mansion (7)

"Clatter "

Seeing the headless body swaying while crawling back up again, Cheng Zhi Chu's hand trembled. The flashlight in his hand fell to the ground and rolled to one side. He was scared to the point that his heart almost stopped beating and even his fingertips went numb.

At this moment, he even had the urge to die ——— Rather than being alive and getting scared so often, it would be better if he just died and everyone could become evil spirits together. Like this, no one would be able to hurt anyone!!

But this thought only flashed through his mind very quickly. He was very self-aware. If someone as useless as him were to die, he knew that he would probably just become a corpse that the evil spirits can feed off from rather than becoming an evil spirit himself.

But why was Ren Xue's body still moving? Was that necklace still using its powers? Do they need to destroy it so that it would no longer control her?

Thinking of the emerald necklace, Cheng Zhi Chu immediately reacted. He grabbed the flashlight that had fallen to the ground and directed the light to the location he remembered seeing the necklace fall to but the moment he looked, his entire body went cold. With no one going over to retrieve the necklace, the necklace had disappeared on its own!

"Necklace— That necklace is gone......" Cheng Zhi Chu said with apprehension. "That definitely is not an ordinary prop... It's probably a cursed item!"

There is a type of item that is extremely dangerous in Infinite Escape that is collectively referred to as "Cursed Items". There is a certain probability that it would appear in an instance and it would very rarely appear in the marketplace.

The cursed item can take the appearance of anything. It is filled with maliciousness, curses, madness and resentment from the dead and evil spirits. The moment it appears, it would inevitably result in a significant increase in death tolls in an instance.

But despite this, players still chased after these cursed items like crazy because only a number of them could be taken out of an instance and be kept in the players possession. Every cursed item contains a dangerous but extremely powerful energy. If used properly, it can become a powerful killing item or life-saving item.

When Cheng Zhi Chu browsed through Winter Branch's posts, the godly player repeatedly emphasized the dangers associated with cursed items and warned beginners not to dream about getting their hands onto one thinking that they can control the cursed item.

In fact, even if the cursed item can be used, most of them would have tremendous side effects that would counteract the user. There were many players who met tragic ends or turned crazy because they had it in their possessions so if you came across a cursed item, no matter whether or not you can take it out of an instance, the most logical course of action was to destroy it before it leads you to a disastrous end.

This post left a particularly strong impression on Cheng Zhi Chu because he was very scared of cursed items after reading about it. In the post, many beginners also expressed their fear and that they definitely wouldn't take a cursed item. There were also a few people who didn't want to accept this and asked Winter Branch if he had any cursed items himself.

That was a from a few years ago when Winter Branch was still actively posting on the forum. When someone asked him a question, he would give them a response.

Winter Branch: 'I do.'

Beginner: 'Great god, if you don't mind revealing it, how many do you have?'

Winter Branch: 'I didn't count it this year. Last year a little more than thirty.'

Beginner: '..............'