Chapter 10: Midnight Mansion (8)

Pulled along by Bai Yi, Cheng Zhi Chu stumbled while trying to keep up with his steps. Along with Lu Wenjing, the three of them ran along the corridor of the second floor and through several rooms before finally managing to lose the ghosts chasing behind them.

Eventually, they ran onto a bedroom and the very last of the white shadows were finally gone. Bai Yi gently closed the door and stood behind it to listen for any sounds before turning to Cheng Zhi Chu and Lu Wenjing. He said in a quiet voice: "We're safe now."

"Phew........ "

Cheng Zhi Chu had used up all his remaining physical strength and he felt his legs go soft. No longer caring about whether the floor was clean or not, he collapsed onto the dirty floor and gasped for air. He felt that he was about to die from exhaustion and had only managed to run this far purely because of his desire to live.

Lu Wenjing's face was also covered in sweat. She similarly sat on the floor gasping for air and, after a moment, she bit onto her bottom lip and said very uneasily: ".......Wang Jianming hasn't caught up. I wonder how he is."

Bai Yi and Cheng Zhi Chu didn't say anything. After Lu Wenjing finished speaking, she also fell silent. If someone were to part from the group and be alone in a place like this, and if they didn't have any particularly effective life-saving means, it was very likely that they will be met with a bad outcome. Earlier, there were just too many ghosts and it was difficult for them to even protect themselves. If they chose to save Wang Jianming, it was likely that everyone would end up losing their lives.

But they didn't hear his cry, so they still hoped that he was okay.......

"I think that these monsters......were probably attracted by the necklace."

Cheng Zhi Chu recalled the strange emerald necklace. Still feeling creeped out, he couldn't help but shudder: "Perhaps it has its own consciousness. It has the ability to appear and disappear on its own and even fall into my pocket. I'm very worried. What if............."

He didn't say the rest of that sentence but the meaning behind it was evident.

——-If it continued to follow them and suddenly appeared on them, what should they do?

"We need to find a way to destroy it."

Bai Yi thought for a moment and then said: "The source of power for cursed items are usually from resentment or fear. Maybe we need to find out what the source of its power is. This would mean that we need to figure out whose lingering grudges or regrets still remain."

"I think there are three suspects." Cheng Zhi Chu finally had enough strength to sit up. He patted away the dirt from his shirt and said, "The scum Charlie, the mistress Mary......."

"And Mrs. Mei Jie?" Lu Wenjing asked.

"I don't think its her." Cheng Zhi Chu shook his head. "Because the phrase engraved on the necklace was 'Our future child will be called Joshua'. When Ren Xue was controlled by the necklace, she instead repeatedly asked if 'Joshua' is a good name. If it was Mrs. Mei Jie, she definitely wouldn't care about what the mistress's child is called. The only people who would ask this question would be Charlie, Mary and.........."

"Joshua himself." Bai Yi calmly said.

"........Yes."

Cheng Zhi Chu covered his face. He thought back to the low chuckle that he had heard next to him when he came into contact with the necklace. It sounded like it belonged to a man. If the malicious source of the necklace is the boss of this instance, then it probably isn't Mary. As for the remainder.......

Again, it's a man........

"Next, we should look for the hidden passage on the second floor and enter to basement to see what clues we can find there."