𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

Bright lights were the first thing I saw. Disinfection was the first thing I smelt. The sound of beeping was the first thing I heard. Dry blood was the first thing I tasted. Blankets were the first thing I touched while lying down flat on my back.

I tried getting up but miserably failed, my back hitting whatever I was lying on, soft, must be a mattress. I attempt to get up again, accidentally hitting a red button on a string, alerting the nurses and doctors that I am awake.

I look around the room after giving up, there are many flowers, cards, and stuffed toys. Some were on the floor, some on the chairs, and some on the edge of the bed I was in. I shifted into a more comfortable position realizing I was in a hospital. Nurses and doctors came rushing into the room, looking at me as if I had grown three heads. I continue to stare at them but quickly cover my eyes.

"Honey, why are you closing your eyes?" I hear a nurse with a sweet voice ask me.

"Q-q-qu-u-uir-rk." I say with a raspy voice. Another nurse comes towards me and hands me a cup of water, I gratefully gulp it down. I thank her.

"Could you repeat that?"

"Quirk, it activates when I look at s-someone or when I'm in a s-state of panic or anger. Don't want it to accidentally go h-haywire." The nurses nod their heads, some taking note of what I had just said. All the doctors and nurses leave, except for two. A nurse and a doctor stayed in the room. The doctor whispered something to the nurse, and the nurse went out of the room. The doctor then turns to me.

"Hi, you must be wondering who I am. I'm Doctor Yuki Saito, the doctor who has been taking care of you for the past 6 months." I listen to her introduction zoning out a bit until she says 6 months, my eyes widen in shock.

"6 months!? How is that possible!? One minute I was lying on my bed in my bedroom and the next minute I was here. I'm so confused!" I say gripping my hair. She looks at me confused.

"What do you mean? You're not supposed to have dementia, you didn't have a concussion when we checked you." She aggressively writes down on her clipboard. The nurse from earlier enters the room carrying a pair of sunglasses, she sets it down on the bed I'm on and leaves the room.

"Checked me?" I repeat her last two words confused.

"What can you remember, honey?" Doctor Saito asks me.

"Uh. A few names, my age, quirk, family, and past."

"Can you please tell me the names, honey?" I nod my head.

"Miss Aiko Shuzenji, Asami Ito, Tadashi Sasaki, Uncle Haru Kobayashi, M/N L/N or M/N Hayashi, F/N L/N, Step/F/N Hayashi, and Doctor Yuki Saito." She writes down all the names on the clipboard and chuckles when her name is added, mumbling something about how it may be a small memory loss.

"You're positive that it's all you know?" I nod my head, she asks me a few more questions before leaving the room. I spotted my phone lying on an overbed table that was shifted to my right. I grab it and switch to the camera.

I look normal, no bandages on me, no casts. I take off the blanket. I lift the hospital gown, stopping right under my chest. Scars litter my stomach, small cuts rest on my waist. There were one to two stitches on each of my legs. I slide the hospital gown down my stomach and see all the notifications that have been sent.

First, the date, then the month.

It's the seventeenth of December, a Saturday, and messages from several months ago show up.

Miss calls and texts from Uncle Haru, Miss Aiko, Asami, Tadashi, and Mom and 'Dad'. My phone starts ringing, the contact under Miss Aiko. I press the green button and bring the phone to my ear.

"H-hell-o?"

"Oh my gosh, sweetie! How are you? Is everything okay? We're on the way, hold on. See you in 5 minutes, be right there!" Then the call ends. I sit criss-cross applesauce on the hospital bed staring at the ceiling confused.

I grab the sunglasses and put them on, it looks decent, to say the least. I see a small note attached to its bridge. I pick it up and read it.

𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑙 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑢𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑠, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑙𝑦 𝑎𝑡 𝑎 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑜𝑛 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑟𝑘 𝑔𝑒𝑡𝑠 𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑝 𝑖𝑡. 𝑊𝑒 ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑖𝑡 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑏𝑦 𝐷𝑜𝑐𝑡𝑜𝑟 𝑌𝑢𝑘𝑖 𝑆𝑎𝑖𝑡𝑜'𝑠 ℎ𝑢𝑠𝑏𝑎𝑛𝑑, 𝐵𝑜𝑡𝑎𝑛 𝑆𝑎𝑖𝑡𝑜. 𝑃𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑎𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑖𝑡, 𝑜𝑛𝑐𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠, 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑠𝑒𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔. 𝑌𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑠𝑢𝑟𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑏𝑒 𝑝𝑖𝑡𝑐ℎ 𝑏𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑘, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑠𝑒𝑒 𝑜𝑢𝑡𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑏𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑖𝑟 𝑏𝑜𝑑𝑦 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑟𝑘 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑠 𝑏𝑦 𝑖𝑡𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑓, 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑒 𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑘. 𝐾𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑟𝑘 𝑠𝑢𝑝𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑖𝑡 𝑖𝑠𝑛'𝑡. 𝐼𝑓 𝑖𝑡 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘𝑠, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑡𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑒𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑖𝑡, 𝑖𝑡 𝑡𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑎 𝑚𝑜𝑛𝑡ℎ 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑖𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑓𝑖𝑥𝑒𝑑. 𝐵𝑒 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑖𝑡. 

𝐹𝑟𝑜𝑚: 𝑁𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑒 𝐾𝑖𝑦𝑜𝑘𝑜

I place the sunglasses on the overbed table and think about why the name Botan Saito sounded so familiar yet foreign to me. My eyelids start to feel heavy, I get into a more comfortable position and pull the thin blanket over me. I hug myself, wrapping the blanket. I inhale and feel my eyes close. My chest slowly rises up and down as my head hits the pillow.