𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏

Glass on the floor, a dent in the wall. Laughter echoed throughout the house, I quietly walked down the stairs and sat on one of the steps, holding onto the railing and peering over.

"That stupid brat! She left the dryer on!"

"She's wasting our money!"

"She'll pay for this! Where is she!?" I gasp and quickly put my hand over my mouth.

"HUH!?"

"What is that," One of the two voices said, pointing to a popcorn kernel lying on the counter, completely oblivious to the container of onigiri on the counter.

"She had popcorn!" The voice said looking to the other. "Our popcorn!"

"Ughhhhhh!!! GO GET HER!" I run up the stairs and lock the door, I pant and put my chair behind the door handle.

Bang

Bang

Bang

"Open the door brat!" A slightly muffled voice yells from behind my bedroom door. I shake my head knowing that the voice can't see me.

Bang

"I said open the goddamn door!" Tears start forming and rapidly slide down my cheeks. I could hear a banging echo from downstairs, I believe that they smashed the wine glasses on the floor.

"Babe!"

"What!?"

"We're out of drinks!"

"WHAT!? QUICK! GET YOUR CREDIT CARD! WE'RE GOING SHOPPING RIGHT NOW!" Footsteps tap against the floorboards, becoming faint.

Slam

The front door slams shut.

Silence.

I move the chair away from the door, wiping the tears by bringing up my tank top and using it as a tissue. I unlock the door and look through my window blinds.

They were walking down the street, giggling like maniacs, cars passed and they didn't care. Cars honked and they continued their walk across the road, ignoring the traffic light.

Ding

Ding

Ding

Ding

Oh shit! The dryer!

I'll quickly fold this and hope they won't be back for a while.

I run down the stairs ignoring any shards of glass and head to the laundry room. I take the clothes out from the dryer put them in another clean basket and take them upstairs to fold. It took about ten minutes to fold and by the time I finished folding the clothes, it was.

23:57

Better clean all the shards...

I put all the folded clothes away before heading back to the laundry room to get a broom and a dustpan. I take them to the living room and start sweeping. There's a crack in the coffee table, a few scratches on the dining table, and on the floor, glass was indeed present. The glass was green like any ordinary beer bottle, I must've missed the empty beer bottles that were piled under the stairs.

Damn it.

I throw it all out and return the broom and dustpan before heading to the kitchen. The container with the onigiri in it was left unscathed. I sigh and take it from the counter.

24:28

I walk up the stairs and change once again into another tank top and shorts, tossing away the previous sweaty set of clothes. I make myself comfortable once more, locking my bedroom door before I do so. And start counting sheep before there are no more left to count.