Chapter 71: Stuck in the bed

I'm updating using my phone since my laptop is not allowing me to type without scrolling down. Please bear with me if there are any mistakes >.<

Elizabeth Peterson:

Despite my effort and still-recovering energy, I was pushed down to stay still on the hospital bed. I wanted to be there for my dad and brother but most of all, I wanted to show Kyle that I'm perfectly fine without him while he eats my brother's punches.

"You're well and wide awake." A knocked and unfamiliar voice greeted a frustrated me and my mom. "Sorry, but do I know you?" I was confused to see a man, who seem familiar but I couldn't quite put it together. "Mason, come in." Mom pats my hand. "Elly, this is Mason. He was the one who brought you back."

"Honestly, I didn't actually do it. It was you're two friends who did all the work." He chuckled shyly.

"Nonsense. You went out of your way to help us and we, forever, thank you for that."

"Thank you." I let down my guard to the mysterious man. "Then, we're even." I looked at him confused.

"You actually safe my life." Then, he told me about the day Jack and I patrolled together and found the wounded wolf. It finally clicks.

"Thank you." He gave a genuine smile as he thanked me. "It was a pretty hard fall, I'm relieved you're fine." I wanted to ask what happened to him for him to be that injured but maybe, that's for another time.

"But the way, how do you know what to do?" I asked. "It wasn't easy but luckily, I know a few things about magic." Apparently, he was adopted by a witch and started learning these things since then. When he saw me, he couldn't help but sensed something wasn't right and tried to look into it.

"I never really had experienced something like this but I'm grateful your family and friends trusted me."

"So I was cursed?"

"No. Not directly. Somehow, you've got entangled with it. I still don't quite understand how." He scratched his head. My hand instinctively held the necklace around my neck. "I think I know how." I looked down at the teardrop-shaped pendant hanging around my neck.

"This necklace held the last essence of the witch that cursed them. I think the curse felt its owner's presence and wanted to return." It was my wild guess but when Hunter came, it went from him.

"Mom, where did you get this?" I showed her the gift she handed me right before I was about to leave Pearl Pack after a wonderful birthday party. "Your father and I saw it at a shop we passed by and it caught our eye because it reminded us of you." She explained.

So, the necklace appeared suddenly and ended up being my possession. "It sounds like the necklace appeared in thin air and knew you were going to give me."

"To the mate of the cursed werewolf," Mason added. "Well, it is truly a mystery but it's a blessing in disguise. It unravels the dark truth of this pack and it's protecting you." He stared interestingly at the necklace.

"How did you know it was protecting me?" I've never explained about Emma, who had forgotten about herself and just called herself Pearl, and how it has been helping my wolf recover.

"I heard about it-" I eyed him warily. "I heard what you said with that vampire doctor." The day I told Dr. Matt about what has been happening spun in motion. "You were eavesdropping?"

"I won't call it that. It's just that I heard the talk by accident and it intrigue my interest so I kept listening." He jokingly explains.

"A necklace that appeared at the right moment. Old magic confined in it and protects you but at the same time hunger for its owner." He summarized.

"It looks like you have an angel guarding you." Mom kissed my cheeks. "Who is the witch that caused all this havoc? Is it the same woman you kept hearing?" Mason spilled out his curious question and observed me as if I was a lab rat.

"Yeah. It's the same woman. Her name is Emma Silver." His expression remained calm and composed.

"She was the mate of Nate Walters and something terrible happened to them," I stated briefly and he nodded. "She was kind and loving. She was nothing close to what the pack has described her to be." I clenched my fist when I remembered her tragic story. "All she wanted was to be with her mate and live peacefully." My heart throbbed for her because I know how she felt. Our wish was the same.

"She fought and ended up losing everything-" I complained.

"Not everything." Hunter made an appearance with his silver hair glistering under the lights. He seemed different as if all his problems dispersed into thin air.

"She had my father and now she knows that her love with my grandfather bloomed till today. Her effort didn't go to waste but it's a bit sad that she couldn't see it herself."

"How are you?" I gave him my biggest smile. "I feel wonderful." I was mad at him for what he had done but what differs him from the Walters is that he admitted to it and took action to fix everything.

"Thank you for bringing me back."

"I'm glad you're back. So now, you better not get hurt and leave that useless cousin of mine. You deserve better." He rubbed my head.

"Are you not going to the duel?"

"I heard what you did from Alpha Kayla and came here right away. You're putting too much faith in me. I don't know if I can be an Alpha." I took his hand and studied his eyes that were terrified of the possible new position. "You were born to be an Alpha and I know you can do it because you're my teacher. You trained me to be better and besides, everyone likes you."

"When did the little Elly who had a bleeding nose on her first day grow to be such a wise lady?" I chuckled at his compliment but mom was shocked to hear what he had said.

In the end, Hunter had to explain what he said and apologize for roughing me up. It was a happy moment until a chilling growl showed up and people screamed in panic.