Chapter 14 : A Promise Broken

Matthew Drew :

Her figure disappeared as I made my way out of the Moonlight's area with trees stretching out. I had my window opened to admire the view that had always been engraved in my mind the first time I've came here not as a friend but as a doctor. A secret my foolish friend wanted to hide from his people, a secret only I and him knew. A dark lie just like the night it happened that brought the terrible curse among them.

I remembered her face with pain and exhaustion but her eyes burned with hatred at the Alpha standing beside me. Her face was soon replaced with Elizabeth's expression of disappointment and terrified. Her wolf was draining herself to heal her but I couldn't bring myself to tell the possibility of her losing her wolf for good. "You know she needs her mate." A voice whispered behind me, sitting calmly at the back seat while licking himself and not even looking up.

"What are you doing here?" He stopped licking and found his eyes on me. "I'm trying to stop whatever is happening at that mysterious pack of yours." 

"Then stop bothering me, Os." He chuckled which always brought goosebumps onto my dead cold skin. It was unnatural to see a human's laughter coming out of a cat. "You know why I'm bothering you, Matthew. It's my job to know what happened here and you're the only one who knows what happened excluding the dead Alpha." 

"However, if you do not tell me, I could always conjure a spell to wake the dead for a few torturous minutes." I growled at his threat. "I dare you but don't tell me that I didn't warn you." I breathed out under my huffing chest. "And I told you, you can never beat me." If he was in his human form, I could see him smugly winking at me. His face gleamed in self-victory with his cat body puffed out adorably. "Meeting you always boil me inside and brings myself imaging killing you." I finally chuckled at our ethics of meeting each other. "And I enjoy making my old friend who is always so composed and good looking boil."

"Does this have to do with Elizabeth?" I asked after a quiet drive towards a place I know was appropriate to tell him. "Maybe." His voiced came out in a whisper. "You help her and I thanked you for that." I nodded and kept driving. "She's a good girl but sadly she's the one who has to endure." He words confirmed what has been bugging me ever since I had to treat her. I could still see and smell her blood the day of her accident, and it always disturbed me how fragile she was that hour - she barely breathe but what caught my eyes were Kyle. He was glued to the floor and never left the room like Jackson did or his father. 

If it's true Elizabeth is the mate of Kyle, then I'll tell him everything. I can no longer stand to see the pack's power shattered to the curse. "Kyle, is he her mate?" He only needs to nod at my question and I gripped the steering wheel with anger at my friend's choice of keeping the curse as a curse and bare with it. Where was his fighting spirit when he first held eye contact with his mate? 

I asked myself the same question the day he told me that he had chose Jane as his Luna but I knew the answer, deep down I had always knew the answer. His fighting spirit buried. "Where are we?" It was still the pack's land but no one knows about this place. "A grave for Little Sunny. A baby girl I help bury with my friend as his tears rolled down his cheeks and dropped onto this very soil while she sobbed behind us."

"Susan's daughter." The name, I so long had not heard, never felt foreign to my ears. It brought back the memories both good and bad. Tonight, I told him a story that no one knows, a story that kills the little girl lying in the ground.

A story that broke my promise to a dear friend.