Chapter 16 : Light the way

Elizabeth Peterson :

"Let's go see Gwen tomorrow." I told Maya as we munched our way towards the center of our burgers that night. Gwen was coming home from her part time job as a witch trainer at a summer camp for almost a month after volunteering to teach young witches and wizards how to make spells for the whole year right after we've graduated high school. "I can't believe she's do only one doing her dream job while I stay here and make babies with my beloved." I wasn't certain if she was complaining or just gushing over how she had gotten her how-many-years-crush to be her mate.

"I'm so proud of her." Maya agreed with me. "You know, besides making babies, you should really go to the audition for the next musical." She has been laying around the pack house and helping around here since she's the female beta and since Alpha Kyle still hasn't officiate Violet as his Luna, Maya was the closest thing to a Luna this pack needs and she has been doing an amazing job.

"I can't. Not now when all of this is happening." By all of this, she means me. Having to know that (again) I'm Kyle's mate but he chose someone else and that she cannot remember a thing about it have made her glued to the pack house. She has been helping me ever since while joining my badmouth session at Kyle which was hilarious because she overdoes it sometimes.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this." Her eyes were wide opened as I said those words and I knew she saw the honesty in my eyes. "Elly no. I'm doing this because you're my best friend and I would still be doing this even if you told me not to. Besides, I need something else rather than pleasing people. Don't tell anyone but I'm lucky I'm not a Luna." She looked around as she said those last words. Even if she wasn't meant to be a Luna but she had everything a Luna needs. "You're a better Luna than me if I was even given a chance to be one." After knowing I was to be a mate of an Alpha, a part of me fell in love with the pack. Pearl pack was home and I love it to bits but Moonlight pack made me want to protect it with my life and the love only grows as I patrolled the area to see kids running around and greeting me with a cheerful hello. It's like everything here is my children.

"Stupid Kyle." She breathed out which I was certain, only supposed to be heard by her but failed. "Elly, listen, even if that stupid Alpha of ours rejected you but you need to know this. You're still my Luna - unofficially. And I know deep in my heart that you're going to make a wonderful Luna at that. So, don't beat yourself just because someone says you're not. They didn't choose you because you were chosen by something greater than us." She held my eyes with so much determination that it flows into me. Helping myself stand with pride.

She's right, Kyle didn't choose me. I was destined to be this pack's Luna while he was still trying to learn the alphabet. "Thanks Maya. I really needed that."

"Now that's done, I have something to ask. How come Jack knew about you and Kyle while I didn't?" It's as if she just lights the way to the answer we needed. "I didn't even thought about that. You're a genius!" We scrambled to the door and looked for Jack. He was there that night but he still knew. He didn't forget.

It wasn't hard finding him because it was 3 in the morning and everyone was  either in their bed or in their bed. "Should we wake him up?" I was beginning to feel like we were too fast to consider anything else such as it was 3 in the freaking morning.

"Jack." Maya went straight to her mate and spoke into his ears with a sweet whisper. "Jack." She softly called him, he didn't open his eyes but he did hummed in reply. "Wake up." He laid still.

"Elizabeth." Suddenly a chill ran down my neck. I looked at Maya and she wasn't focusing on me or even calling my name. "Maya, we'll just ask him tomorrow morning." I pulled her away from torturing her mate's resting time. "Fine, mom." Her mischief shown brightly in her eyes. "We should get some rest. I'll see you later." She reluctantly agree when her sleepy eyes and yawning came out to welcome the night.