Chapter 83: Rest in Peace, at last

Elizabeth Peterson:

"Miss Peterson," a young and bright voice boomed inside the hall, urgently calling me as if he was on a quest. I turned around with books held closely onto my chest, the size fits nicely in my arms and the smell calms me.

"Hello, Hugh!" He beamed at my greetings with his school bag still glued behind him, his shirt stained from an unknown sauce. "How was school?" I crouched to his height and he narrated the adventure of a student. "And then, we had spaghetti with enormous meatballs!" That explained the spots.

"Well, Hugh, what can I do with you today?" I stood up and the burn from crouching for too long spread across my legs, I walked to a desk with an antique cash register that fits perfectly with the ambiance of the surrounding despite the modernity of the outside trying to seep through the store but failed even when the door opens for their special visitors.

"I have books I want to sell," he put his bulky school bag on the counter with a loud thug. "That must have been heavy," he nodded eagerly but justified the bag's weight with his super strength with a cheat mode of being born as a werewolf. "I love these books but I don't read them anymore and grandma nagged about it since they only collect dust." He lovingly stared at the books as if he was selling his favourite toy away.

"But, I'm going to sell these because they're for babies and I want to collect money to buy a gift for mommy, daddy, grandma, and grandpa," in order to buy presents for his family, he was willing to withdraw his favourite books. My lips curled into a grin and I enthusiastically took the books on the counter, telling him that he might get some extra cash since every single book seemed in mint condition.

He then kept telling me about his family and how his mother is now living with them. "I can play with mommy all the time now! It's fun every day and mommy even reads me a storybook during bedtime and sometimes, I could see daddy peeking from the doors but mommy doesn't notice." His story stunned me a bit and my mind couldn't help being curious but it was just there and left untouched.

"And I think grandma doesn't like mommy but I'm going to buy them gifts! so everyone is happy and maybe grandma can see that mommy is very nice and the most perfect mom ever!" Despite his age, he's more mature for his age and his small size doesn't speak volumes for his huge goals.

"That's a great idea." After checking the condition and paying him for the books handsomely, hopefully, it's enough for the gifts. We bid farewell and he left with a light backpack and a pocket full of money.

Once the light sank and the darkness looms in, I started getting ready to close the bookstore with a sign portraying its name and age proudly. The name 'Tome not Tomb' depicts old or second-hand books that are still adventures that await a new adventurer like Jumanji waiting for players. Named by a witty owner which passed down in the family for generations and now their great-grandchild is my boss.

I breathed in the cold air of early winter and wrapped my scarf around my neck before leaving the sleeping store. Despite being closed, it still publicized its humour for passersby. The close sign is as witty as the founder, it read: Adventure starts tomorrow.

Feeling hungry and lazy at the same time, I entered a Chinese family restaurant and ordered the usual which arrived a few minutes after. It was as white as snow and plump with its fillings while the hand-folded top securing the meat outlined the history of their culture and elegant motor skills.

I have never imagined myself sitting here with nothing to worry about except for bills and what to read next or what would I do if I was the main character in a book I am currently reading. I would often video call my family and talked about miscellaneous events that happened that day or what will be written for tomorrow's escapade before saying goodnight and telling them to come here for the school holidays since the twins are whining to see my new small place, fit for a single person that loves alone time.

My laptop sang a repetitive tune notifying a caller is waiting for a response, with a towel on my head, I slammed my body onto the bed and accept the call without a thought when I saw who it was.

"Hey, girl!" Maya announced her presence with a baby crying in the background. She left her phone on something and proceed to pick up her firstborn who is turning one next week. "Hello, Sunny. How are you? Did mommy bully you?" My voice squeezed and baby-fied to talk to Sunny as she calms down in Maya's arms.

"No, mommy didn't bully Sunny. Sunny is just hungry after playing with daddy all day long and daddy forgot to feed you, didn't he?" Sunny responded with a giggle when she heard her mommy even though she didn't understand it but the playful gesture was fully comprehended.

"So what's up?" I asked through the screen in my pajamas. "Just a few things to tell my bff who is living her solo life!"Sunny stopped crying as soon as Maya aeroplaned the food into her mouth. "Before you nag, I'm coming to her birthday party and I'm bringing gifts - not one but more!" I haven't actually bought Sunny anything but I know what to buy for a 1-year-old. "Scrap that. Second on the list, Gwen is on a date with this guy that she met at her college - full disclaimer, he's a witch!"

"She's on fire! Ted better hurry up or someone is going to snatch her away." We contemplated Gwen's love life before deciding that we should be her cupid with Ted. "I mean, they had something going on and I know they like each other but I never understood why it never happened."

"Because both of them are snails reincarnated! Let's start by giving them a nudge during Susie's birthday party." We planned and smiled mischievously at, hopefully, a foolproof plan.

"Have you heard anything from my sister?" Our topic moved to a more depressing matter. After everything was settled, Nicky disappeared with a single note left behind.

 I'm fine but I've something I need to take care of.

Love you guys.

"Nothing. I asked the packs around here but none have ever seen her. Kayla had the same result." She sighed and stared at Sunny quietly playing with her bowl. "I wish I was awake that night or even asked her if she was okay during dinner." Her hands covered her whole face and the words came out as a murmur.

"Don't worry. We'll find her soon, I can feel it." We talked about something else before Jack came into view. He informed me that everyone here is doing great after Hunter was chosen as the new Alpha. "I don't think I'm fit for an Alpha," he cried in exhaustion. They mentioned nothing about Kyle and his beloved family which I wasn't curious about at all. The last update that I knew of them was Kyle living in a hellhole with restraining magic and his family was kept under supervision to avoid any misfortunes to them since some witches might seek something in return.

"See you soon, Elly. We love you so much." Our call ended and I laid on my back with my hair partially dried but ended up wetting my bed. I had so many questions about Nicky but I had enough adventure to last me a lifetime.

But I spoke too soon.

"Nicky?" I grabbed her hand.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FINALLY!

We are done! or are we?? 

Elly at last is free and is living her life! 

3rd book is just starting to form ^.^ and we will be able to get a closer look at our mysterious Nicole Robinson as she tries to save her son and maybe her life as well ~