Chapter 9 : Susan is a flower

Matthew Drew :

"And here you told us, you weren't able to stay." Chris patted my back as we walked towards the kitchen with a scrumptious smell guiding us. "Matthew!" Little old Jane in an apron with a adorable bun came to give me a hug. "I've thought you had plans?" I nodded and told them that Kyle needed my help on a certain patient.

"Who?" They both seemed interested while doing their morning routine. Jane was cooking and had her back to me but her ears were wide opened so was her husband, who poured coffee for him and tea for me. "Elizabeth. I believed she is one of your warriors? I had never seen a woman warrior before." I commented when Jack told a brief story of what happened. I assumed she was one because he said "We were patrolling -"

However, I've got a different reaction from both of them. I imagined they were going to be proud especially Jane when she always loved the idea of woman fighting alongside other warriors in order to protect what she believes. I also imagined shock and worry at that news. Instead, she gasped and did what I had visualize but Chris froze like a statue in front of me. His eyes hard and I could almost see the hatred stressing in his veins and eyes.

"What happened? Elly is in the hospital?" She, despite being a retired Luna, never did stopped her work. She still worries and love her pack like a mother would to her children. "Warriors get admitted to hospital all the time. Don't worry to much. She must have fell on her face when training or something." It surprised me at the tone of Chris's voice. He was strict but cared for his people.

"Well, unfortunately, it's more than a fell-on-the-face accident. She fell from a alarming height, broke her neck and a few opened wounds that needed more than one stitches." Jane gasped at the horror. I have her full attention now. "But she survived. She is a no ordinary human. Despite surviving the deathly fall, it seems she is recovering in a slow pace than a werewolf would."

"She has no wolf. What do you expect?" Chris commented without a hint of regret on his harsh words. He always did have a not so open-minded about things outside his comfort. "That's where you are mistaken, my old friend." He looked shocked at my remark and told me to proceed on justifying my disagreement with him.

"What I have been told was she could not shift nor communicate with her wolf despite having abilities of one." They nodded. "You see, when you have the ability of a werewolf, you have a wolf in you. That's what makes you and us different. We both can run fast like the wind, jump as high as the trees stand, hear and smell from the biggest animal to the smallest of insects, see in the dark and heal as fast as time. However, we are different. I am a vampire as I thirst for blood but you don't. You are a werewolf as you have a wolf inside you but I don't." Chris was silently taking my words into consideration.

"She has a wolf but it is not coming out. I don't know why that is but it is the truth. However, the fall took a toll on her and the wolf. I can feel she is weak as a leaf." I told them the state she was in last night and how many times we almost lost her but something baffled me which I did not tell them.

"Where are Kyle and Violet? I thought we could have a nice breakfast together especially when you are here." Jane was huffy at the two empty sits at the table. "Kyle was with me the whole night and I last saw him going to his office." Last night was chaotic with blood and an unknown man in his land. He supervised another doctor and me as we tried to stabilize her. He also eyed the other patient that came in wounded with them. He had only broken a few bones from the impact of the fall and two stabbed wounds. One on his left leg and the other on his stomach.

"Violet must be with him. She can sense if something is wrong with him." Chris told us. "They are perfectly made for each other. When can I expect a wedding?" Jane whined about Kyle avoiding to talk about a step further than just lovers. "Let them have their moment. When the time comes, it will come." I chuckled at her dissatisfied face at my remark and we talked about something else.