Chapter 10 : One call

Elizabeth Peterson :

"Are you sure?" Maya has been asking me this for the past two weeks. She was beginning to worry more as the fact of me being susceptible to pain due to my slow healing hits us everyday. I had to swallow pills for everything and thankfully, they had stocks enough for a human it they ever need one.

"Yes?" I was no longer certain at not calling my parents about this. A thin thread was dangerously trying to hold me together for not telling them the accident. At knowing what happened to me, every parent, would rush to their children and I wasn't ready to tell them the truth when they'll see I wasn't a Luna despite being a mate of an Alpha. Every second, my head reminds me the secrets I was keeping from them when I know they would protect me from anything, the guilt was eating me alive.

A tear ran down my bruised cheeks. "Can you-" My voice chocked from trying to swallow the sob. I miss them so much that it was killing me. It hurts more than the physical pain. As if she knew what I meant, she handed me her phone. I memorized everyone's number as if they were my names. She left me alone and I was once again but not anymore as my mom's voice pulled me closer to the phone.

"Hello?" She asked a second time and I finally had the courage to respond after clearing my throat and trying to not break down. "Hi mom. It's me." She gasped and her tone changed to joy and affection. "Elly! I haven't heard you since honestly I can't remember when was the last time you called." In her voice, I could feel she was missing me and I was again aware of the guilt in me even though she would never want me to feel so. "I'm sorry." My voice cracked.

"Oh baby. I'm sure you were very busy being a Luna but I do wish you would call us. How are you doing, love?" I replied with a lie.

"I'm doing fine. Mom I'll try and come back home when I have time." The thought of being back home send warmth inside me and I was beginning to feel excited. "That's great honey. We can't wait!" Dad's voiced out and greeted him like a little girl. We've talked for hours until the phone turned hot.

"I need to go now. Bye mom dad. I love you." Dr Matthew came in with someone I haven't seen for weeks. Maya was behind them with a displeased expression at Kyle being here. She respect him as an Alpha but she's mad at him rejecting me and chose Violet. However, she kept quiet and tries her best to avoid him but that's impossible since she's the mate of his Beta and they have been childhood friend since she could walked.

She passed them and stood beside me like a shield. Dr Matthew greeted us with a smile and pretended to not notice the tension in the room or the way Maya was showing us her bitchy face. "Was that your family?" I nodded at his question. "Family always play an essential role in recovery." He remarked.

"How are you feeling?" I told him everything and he jotted down the pain while later telling me to scale the pain from one to ten. The pain was reducing slowly but not in the rate we were hoping for. "I have been reading and there are theories on your condition which explains about your wolf's abilities however we only know that your healing power has been dampen. We should test on your strength and agility once you're heal enough." I could only nod while avoiding to look at his side.

"What are you doing here?" Maya finally asked the billionaire question we both had been bothered about. "I am the alpha and she is my warrior. I need to know if there is something wrong with her. She swore her life to the pack." It felt like knives pierced into my heart and I finally know that we are never going to be together. "Thank you for worrying about a mere warrior, Alpha Kyle. I am very grateful for you to be concern even though you could dispose me and replace me with many more." I bowed my head while my heart stoned to the heartbreak and reality. It was always going to end like this, it was only me that believed in nothing but false hope.

"And I'm also worried because I promised your father to take good care of you. So I'm here for you as a friend." I smiled and I feel the squeezed on my shoulder by Maya. It was either she was annoyed or supporting me to face the painful things he said directly at my face. "Thank you. So what did you find?" I changed the topic as I needed to know if I could get better.

"Have you found a mate?" Everyone was dumbfounded by his question but everyone knew how too lie. We kept a straight face and I asked "Why does a mate got to do with my wolf?".

"If your mate rejected you, it is clearly why your wolf is turning weaker. A rejection to a werewolf is more severe than a human's breakup or divorce. You feel the bond breaking especially your wolf." He explained. "A curse we all have to endure." He added.

"It can also drive a werewolf mad. I've seen them go crazy and I've seen them taking their own life."

"But I won't. What are the other reasons?"

"Family - your family. Father's a werewolf and mother's a human. Am I correct?" I nodded. "You see, I'll try explaining it as simple as I can, it's like making lemonade. Your father is the lemon and your mother the water. At the end of the mixing, you'll have 3 situations. First situation, you'll get a very concentrated lemon which could be interpreted as the child would have more werewolf blood in him. Second situation is the opposite where the outcome is more dilute-"

"And the child is human." I cut him off.

"Not likely, Elizabeth dear. A child is never truly werewolf or truly human. It still has both. Only which one dominates the child is the question. However the last situation and I believe is ideal, where none dominates the others. The child has balanced werewolf blood and human blood." He finished and I knew exactly which one am I however I need reassurance "Which one am I?"

"The second situation by looking at your previous difficulty to shift and now." I nodded. "Thank you doctor." He gave me a pat and left the room.

"Would you mind leaving. Both of you. I'm exhausted." Maya left me after informing me that I can call her whenever I needed someone. Kyle looked lost and left me stunned with his words. "I'm sorry." Was meant to be a whisper but I heard it.

The moment he left, I threw my pillow at the door and I cried softly. It never stops hurting when he rubs it in your face of him not being with you despite your efforts and his lies. It also hurts knowing my wolf was born weak and grew weaker because my mate thought I wasn't good enough for him and chose someone better. He rejected me because I was me.

Why couldn't I be pretty like Violet? Or perfect like her?