Chapter 12 : Right as Rain

Elizabeth Peterson :

"Heads up!" My body quickly turned towards the voice and my eyes caught a flying object ready to hit my face but I was fast enough to save my face. As my hand grabbed the warm metal bottle, I could feel the excruciating pain coming from my chest when I made an unexpected move. I couldn't breathe for a moment but as the pain recedes, oxygen began to feel into my lungs once again.

"Thanks." I breathed out a small grateful gesture at Max. He nodded and I knew what was going to come out of his mouth. "Feel healthy enough to get out of bed?" It has been a full month of me lying in my room like a corpse. Dr Matt told me I could go home but I still needed to act like a sick patient which means no training and no patrolling but a small peaceful jog was good enough. "I was until someone made a surprise attack with a heavy metal thermos."

"Mom said it would be good for your health." He simply ignored my glare and sat beside me. "What are you doing anyway?" I shrugged at myself.

"I would like to say patrolling but that guy over there covered the whole area and won't let me even take a hike to recheck his patrolling." I stuck my tongue out at the warrior who has been walking back and forth since this morning like a robot designed to do the same thing over and over again. "Well that's on the Alpha. He did warned all the warriors to stop you from doing anything besides sitting at home or walked around for fresh air. Anything else is forbidden." I sighed hatefully at him reminding me of those things everyday.

"Why does he cares so much? He's not my mate. He doesn't need to worry about me." Since that day, I've noticed that everyone who knew what Kyle and I was had forgotten about it. Maya found out when I accidentally spilled the secret again.

I've been locked up in my room for days without even taking a bite of something decent except for cookies and cakes I would find in the kitchen late at night. I would sit all day and write all day about the things I know what happened that day but somehow it felt like a dream and when I woke up, everything was different and he was no longer the person I wanted him to be.

"Hey." A soft knocked warned me about Maya coming in with a tray of today's dinner. I quickly hid my notes and put on my poker face as she sat down on my bed. "I've made you roasted chicken with potato salad and mac and cheese with extra cheese." She sounded like a mom who's thrilled to reveal a present to her kid. "Thanks but I'm not hungry." I have lost my appetite the day he told me he chose Violet.

"Come on. You haven't eaten the whole day except for that junk." She handed me the utensils and refused to accept my behavior of not eating. "I'll eat it later." She whined and pulled my hands before shoving the utensils to me. "I've heard that and had to throw away good food the next day. So, I will not accept that excuse again, missy."

"It's not like I don't want to eat, I've tried but-" I looked into her eyes with so much desperation for help. "I can't." I've cried out loud.

"I can't eat without throwing up. I can't wake up without thinking it would be better if I die." She was shocked at my confession. "I was so stupid. I was blind to see the reality, to see the big fucking picture!"

"What are you talking about? Elly, I'm always here for you but you need to tell me if you want my help. Please don't talk about losing hope when I'm still beside you even if I have to crawl to help you." She held my hand with so much strength. She was shaking out of fear for me.

"I'm useless and stupid, Maya. I wasn't good enough for my mate and I told him I would move the world just to make us work but I am to weak to even plead him to stay."

"Mate? You've found your mate?" She hold onto my shoulders and I confusingly gave a nod. "Who? Is he from your previous pack? Is that why you're here? To stay away from him? He rejected you?" She bombarded me with so much questions that I was baffled at her question. She knew about Kyle and me but it's as if it was her first time knowing about this. Something definitely must have happened that night.

"First of all, I came here because of him. Not because I ran away but because I followed him." She listen attentively while sitting in front of me. "You know him and the thing is - it just doesn't make sense!" Her face was as calm as it could ever be but her eyes were wide with shock.

"I've already told you this before." She looked confused and I told her the story of the day I've told her and Gwen the truth with Ted besides me. "I- I don't remember." She proved my point and her desperation to remember brought her eyes to tears.

"Who is he?" I was debating with myself if I should retold her the truth but telling her everything again won't change that he rejects me yet again but now it's clear as day.

"Kyle." She was stupefy and was as still as a rock.

"Elly? Hello? Earth to Elizabeth?" A hand waved in front of me furiously to pull my attention to the speaker beside me. "Yeah? Sorry." I drank the hot tea and a relaxing hot liquid traveled into my body giving me warmth and realization that I was here and weak.

"I was saying, he's your Alpha. He needs to be concern you since your disablement could effect greatly to the pack's safety." He expertly explained like a expected Gamma-to-be. "I'm exhausted. Thanks for this. Say hi to her and little Maleah for me. Give her lots of kisses and tell her, I miss her so much." He groaned at me trying to escape.

"You tell her yourself. She always with you this passed few days." I chuckled at Max's jealousy of me stealing his baby sister's love. "Maybe I will."