Winter's Sigh

|| Reader Discretion Advised ||

Cap's heart raced as he was still facing from the state line, Cotton trying his best to keep up with his cousin, but Pardon was a swift hooved mare. "Cap you'll leave him behind," Chyna warned through tired eyelids and a dry tongue. "Cotton's fine, jus' try an' rest a bit...if you can. We got a little while." Cap said quietly, feeling her body shiver more violently by the minute, It was a cold morning, but not so cold that his body heat could not warm her.  

"We need to go fast Cotton Top! come on!" Cap called back, "the horse is trying Cap," Cotton said, and in a light whine of regret sighed "won't go no faster."  

A long frown formed across Cap's face, "shit." he hissed. "I got an Idea, Cot. It might be stupid, get your riffle an' have it ready. Follow me." he instructed, turning Pardon's course away. "that's not the right way Cap!" Cotton called. "No it ain't, not for us - But...I think Johnsey says it's this way," said Cap.

"What is?" Chyna questioned quietly, it was getting harder to keep her eyes open. Cap didn't answer, "Cap what is?" She asked him a little stronger. "We're gonna go see miss Roseanna?" Cotton asked. Chyna's eyes would have widened in surprise if her heavy eyelids would have allowed it. "stop." Chyna demanded. 

"We'll be fine, Roseanna won't do nothin' to us." Cap reasoned. "ain't Rosie you gots to worry 'bout. It's that surly ol' Aunt of her that'll blow your brainpan clear out your head - You can't go to a McCoy, Cap." Chyna said.

Cap's eyes were growling in frustration, "no I can't, but I gotta - she'll know what to do. Ma's too far an' to ride into town would be -"

"No worse than riddin' right to a McCoy door an' serving yourself up." Chyna said. 

"too late, coverin' too much ground to turn back now" Cap whispered. "Chyna looked down at the satchel she had clutched in her arms, "I don't want to tell him about this among his enemies." she thought to herself. "jus, quiet now. you keep talking an' you go and make yourself worse." Cap said. Chyna shook her head but remained quiet. Even as bad as things could go for them, she could not deny her body wanted nothing more than to get off of the horse and lay down.

It didn't take long for a garden to come into view between the thick surround of trees. Even in the cold in the months before winter, Betty Blakenship's garden still looked as beautiful and wild as ever. A little delicate cabin sat not far from the garden a certain stillness about it as if frozen in time.

"Come on Cotten Top, help me get her down," Cap called out quickly dismounting his horse. Cotton followed and lumbered over to his cousin, helping to get Chyna down and onto Cap's back, slipping the satchel to hand on Cap's shoulder. Chyna watched the simple canvas bag like a hawk. However, Cap's eyes trained on the front door of the home, and his heart was throwing a fit in his chest. He could only hope that he knew Roseanna's character enough to where he wasn't making a mistake. He'd hoped that her aunt would be less sour if moved by her niece who had just gone through pregnancy herself.