Like Rain in the Sky

Calvin gazed out into the woods as he stood on his front porch

Calvin gazed out into the woods as he stood on his front porch. Red eyes from sleeplessness glazed over in disbelief.

"What have you guys done" he murmured.

His Pa had gone the day before to try and retrieve Pharmer, Tolbert and Bud. But Anse Hatfield would not release them not let him or any other family see them.

Randall McCoy was given the promise that if Ellison was to survive, the three McCoy boys would be sent home alive. However, if Ellison died it was certain Calvin's brothers would die as well.

A idea rose in Calvin's mind, he wasn't sure it'd work, but for his brothers sake it had too.

"No" Sally said sternly.

"Come on ma, it's Chyna. I know her, we all do she worked for us all her life. It's our best chance" Calvin tried to reason, following his mother around the house.

"You so much cross that river and they'll snatch you up too!" Sally shouted, slamming down a plate.

"They won't even see me, I've done it before an-"

Sally gave a great big sigh and looked at her son sharply.

"Chyna....That negro girl, she is Ellison's." She said. Calvin paled, "n-no, she, she was - he adopted her into his side of family. Right?" He stammered.

After all that had been the rumor over the past few years. Surely if it was anything more everyone would know. A negro and a white didn't happen in these parts, and if it did, not long before someone disappeared. The news would have spread like wildfire.

Sally tilted her head. "That's a cover up rumor, Calvin. She won't bat an eye at your plea. After all....27 stab wounds and a shot in the gut. I wouldn't forgive them either." She said, yet still those were her babies. And Sally was sick with fear and sadness it showed all over her face.

Calvin looked down at his feet and clenched his fists. "Yeah, I s'pose you're right then. God almighty ever bad thing that's happened to her been our fault" he said.