In the Dark

Chyna had fallen fast asleep at Ellison's bedside

Chyna had fallen fast asleep at Ellison's bedside. Her head nestled beside his arm, one hand over his chilling hand, the other still resting on his forehead where it had been brushing his bangs.

The room was dark with a single candle whose flame was slowly fading away. There was a perfect stillness that settled in the night.

Crickets had stopped their merry songs, the mountain animals seemed to have been hushed. The breeze so weak that the trees stood still.

Up the wooden steps of Anse's home the Hatfield children slept less than peaceful, each cramped into one room. While Anse's and Levicy took the boys room to themselves.

Anse lay in bed gazing aimlessly at the ceiling. White hot anger and deep regret mixing together inside of him like a whirlwind. He looked over at Levicy who lay with her back to him.

She was breathing softly but out of his view her eyes were awake. "Try and sleep Anderson...tomorrow is another day, and today is gone. Put it to bed" she sighed rolling over and cuddling up next to him.

Anse sighed heavily and took her hand kissing it lightly. His eyes trailed to the door as he could hear the wooden floorboards creeping slowly out the door.

Cap's eyes sprung open as he pushed his body up from the floor. He, Johnsey, Cotton and Robert E. We're all sleeping on the floor. Cap and Johnsey had given up the two cots to Robert E. And Cotton, being they were younger.

Cap peered into the dark, looking over the faces of his family and exhaled in relief "sleeping like logs" he thought taking his blanket into his fist he carefully got to feet.

Looking around one more time go make sure he had not awoken anyone, Cap started to tiptoe over Johnsey. Narrowly missing stepping on Robert E.'s hand.

Once to the door Cap grinned at his skills of stealth, giving himself a mental pat on the back before slipping out the door.

Across the hall the door to the room where Cap's parents slept was slightly cracked. Cap halted his steps and took long slow steps, moving as quietly as a cat.