Cotton's Soup

William had just finished wrapping Chyna's feet when the door flung open

William had just finished wrapping Chyna's feet when the door flung open. "daddy?" Cotton questioned, but Ellison was quiet. William trailed Ellison's gaze from Chyna and back. He couldn't tell if he was angry or what was going on but one thing was for sure. He wanted William and Cotton out. " come on Cot come help me with my eye, maybe you can talk my Ma outta putting that god awful ointment in it" William called standing up. Cotton followed behind hesitantly after his cousin. He glanced back at Chyna and then to his Father.

"Pa don't be mad at her, she didn't do nothing wrong," He said sadly. Ellison glanced at him, his face was the same but his eyes were gentle "no Cotton, no she didn't" He said Cotton smiled at this and followed on after William.

When the boys left it was quieter in the small back house than it had ever been. Chyna quickly stood to her aching feet "I am sorry I caused so much trouble monsieur, but those men they were going to burn down master Anse timber lands and I had to-" As Chyna rambled in panic Ellison had gone to her and pulled her into an embrace.

Chyna froze as still as a twig in winter. Her eyes darted this way and that. It was so improper and so unexpected. "Ain't no one ever told you not to go out into the woods alone in these parts," Ellison said lowly. Chyna tried to find words, but she was still trying to figure out just what was happening. "I figured" Her words stopped she'd never had trouble wandering around before in McCoy lands so she figured it would be the same here. This is what she wanted to say but her words were caught in a ball in her throat.

Ellison's embrace was warm and comforting, no matter how out of place it might have been. And after all, Chyna hadn't been hugged in years. Not since her mother passed and her father was around.

Her body began to shake, under big arms and a towering body and the comfort of the hug Chyna started to feel all the fear from the experience up in the hills hit her like a steam train. She tried to continue to hold herself together as best she could. "it is not the same up in those woods as it is in others. There is a war brewin' over my brothers Timber lands, things happen up in those woods" Ellison said resting a large hand on Chyna's head. Her body relax as her head rested on his chest.

What was going on? This question went towards Ellison's actions and what was said about the Timber fields.

It was silent again. And Chyna could hear Ellison's heart pounding away rapidly. "M-monsieur?" She asked in a confused tone as her brows knitted together. He gave her a light squeeze and held her tighter. Chyna could feel her cheek grow hot in embarrassment. "Monsieur," she said cautiously "this ain't proper," she said slowly. Ellison pulled back holding Chyna at arms length by her upper arms. She looked up at him bewildered he was acting so strange or rather conflicted. "you ok? Did one of them men up there, hit you about the head or something Monsieur?" She asked.

Ellison chuckled and gave a sheepish smile. "it may be a sin, but I think the lord will forgive me this discretion" He muttered quickly. Chyna went to ask just what he had said with she found him leaning down towards her. Her eyes grew twice their size as his lips brushed against her own and she tried to push him back. "stop it Monsieur!" She gasped turning her head way she shut her eyes. Ellison's mouth smiled against her cheek, as he used his fingertips to turn her head back.