Changing Winds

The following day Chyna went back to Anse's home with Cap and Cotton after work

The following day Chyna went back to Anse's home with Cap and Cotton after work. Cap had managed to convince her that she should be around while he talked to him about Hiring James and Clint.

In the meantime Levicy had recruited. Chyna to help around the homestead. She was grateful for the extra distraction.

Out in the hen house Chyna gathered eggs seperating the good from the bad. She knew she was desprate, she hated chickens and they'd no strong love for her either.

As she exited the birds encloser a flustered hen squawked and flapped its wings about. Her head held low as she chased Chyna away pecking at her heels.

Chyna hurried out and closed the gate less she be temped to kick the bird.

Soft laughter came from behind her as. Chyna stood glaring at the bird. "They don't like me very well either" Sarah's voice said brightly.

Chyna tirned and faced the girl who rushed in to hug her. Sarah buried her face in Chyna's stomach. "You ain't been around in a long time!" Sarah scolded her. Chyna chuckled lightly and patted Sarah's head " it's not fair, Cap and Cotton is the only ones get to see you no more" she muttered her voice muffled in Chyna's fabric.

"I'm sorry little miss" Chyna said, "tell you what. After i help your Ma I'll do whatever you wan til supper time. How'd that be?" Chyna asked.

Sarah pulled away and gave a wide smile. "That'd be wonderful, what are you waitin' on o on hurry!" Sarah said shoving Chyna off. Chyna giggled to herself as she walked away.

Cap watched them with a small closed smile out of the corner of his eyes from the window. He was waiting patiently for Elias to finnish up talking with Anse. Even though Elias had been the one to interrupt them.

He'd quickly gotten lost looking at her. Mesermized by the way her skirt swayed with her stide and the way the sun made her glow.

Anse had finished talking to Elias and stood there a moment watching his son. There wasn't going to be a good end to this conversation. Infact Levicy had been against Anse on it for the whole day.

Anse sighed, he already had one son gone off and doing god knows what. Yet he had faith Cap would be different he knew well the importance of family. Anse could look at Cap and see a little him. Just like him, even if he did favor Levicy's side of the family in looks. He had his fathers eyes.

Cap slowly looked away from the window as Chyna had slipped out of view he looked up at his father. "Sorry musta got caught in my own head" Cap apologized.

"Its alright, ive got something" Anse sighed heavily and took on a stern expression. Cap tensed, that look was never good. "I've got something I need to say an' you ain't gon like it." Anse said.

Cap straightened up and stood tall crossing his arms as casually as he could. "Yeah...go on" he said clearly but slowly.

For a moment a thick consuming silence fell over the house. Cap could hear His yoinger siblings bickering upstairs but they sounded so distant.