Laughter in the Dark

"what did I tell you before? You deaf boy!" Anse shouted  as he  and Cap stood on the back porch

"Pa if folks comin  after her,  it ain't  safe for her to stay alone in that little shed.  Them boys that was run out are back - an they ain't  doing jus night raids" Cap said he spoke evenly.

"well all the reason not to bring her in with my family " Anse said.

Cap leaned against the porch beam and narrowed his eyes.

"Pa she is your worker,  and Uncle Ellison would be rollin in his grave if anything happens to her an you coulda stopped it" he said.

Anse glared "don't hold that over my head" he growled.

"she cares about us,  Pa alla us.  If she thinks for a second that this'll cause us too much trouble she would leave. " Cap said 

"so go on and let the little  coon leave" Jim said stepping out if the house.

Cap  rolled his eyes "wasn't nobody talking to you Uncle  Jim,  and no I won't let her leave." Cap barked, standing up he went to walk past his father.

Anse snatched up his arm "don't you walk away from me we aren't done here" Anse said.

Cap stopped and looked Anse in the eye for a long time.  Hello quietly pulled his arm away from him.  "We might not be,  but I am,  Pa." Cap said with a nod and a tip of his hat.

Chyna trailed behind Cap a satchel of her things in hand. He took her to his horse which had been tied to a tree.

"where we going Cap?  It's dusk out" Chyna asked.  Cap  lifted her up with both hands and placed her on his horse. 

"Pa won't help so I gotta do this on my own. You'll stay with Tom Ford a while.  I promise Skunky won't tell nobody yous out there an you'll be closer to work " said Cap.

Chyna frowned "that separates me from Cotton except for workin hours " she said.

"better than not being able to see him at all because you end up like that Henry feller we heard about " Cap said.

Chyna remained quiet when couldn't argue with that.

"okay fine" she muttered.

"Skunky is nice,  I'll work on finding out about these people  - gotta be a way to report em or somethin" Cap spoke as he lead the horse through the  trees.

It was a quiet ride and Chyna could feel her heart pounding against her chest.

Night fell and Chyna's unease grew,  she reached down and shook Cap's shoulder.

"yeah?  What is it? " get asked.

Chyna's eyes shifted all about the growing dark around them.  "you should get up on the horse,  we'll go faster that way if we have to run away" she said.